Cable Gear Change Adjustment

More
30 Oct 2012 13:28 #1 by dandjcr
dandjcr created the topic: Cable Gear Change Adjustment
Forum Home > OKA Maintenance > Cable Gear Change Adjustment

Marj Parsons
Recently we fitted our XT Oka with a new gear box. It has a cable gear change that we fitted years ago, and it has been great. Now every now and then it will spit it out of 4th gear. It only happens when you first put it in - once its in it is OK, and there is no trouble with any of the other gears. Has anyone with a cable gear shift had the same problem? We have been fiddling with it off and on for ages with no success. I would like to find out if anyone else has had experience with this . Thanks.
Lloyd Parsons
April 6, 2011 at 8:27 PM Flag Quote & Reply

joseph baz
Hi Marj,what gear box are you using?,was the gearbox new or used? it may just be a little adjustment on the cable if it was a new box otherways it can be a selector issue,can you actually feel the gear clicking in as you select or it feel like it's going no were.
cheers,joe
April 6, 2011 at 9:21 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Peter & Sandra James Oka 374
374 does the same, sort of goes in but quite often unless you hold it it will pop straight back out. I have found that if I double shuffle or pause momentarily in neutral that it is ok.
Looking back through the vehicle records its eems to have been a constant problem since new as it is now on its third gearbox in 83k ;-))
Other Oka owners that have driven it reckon it is normal but as a newby Oka owner I don't think so.
--
Oka 374 LT Van

April 7, 2011 at 6:58 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Marj Parsons
Hi Joe,
The gear box is a standard Dana Spicer , new (it has now done about 20000k). It has done it since it was installed and only in 4th gear. The supplier and Oka are both convinced that it is in the linkage. The gear change feels pretty normal but every now and then jumps back out. We have even tried changing oils to see if that made a difference - it didn't! Does Oka 374 have a cable gear change?
Lloyd

April 7, 2011 at 2:43 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Peter & Sandra James Oka 374
No it has a linkage, cables for the transfer case.
--
Oka 374 LT Van

April 7, 2011 at 7:36 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Mark Pain
Hi,
my XT jumps out of first as you have described. It has the original linkage not cable shift. Double declutching improves it but if you try and hold it in it crunches. Box has just been rebuilt but not yet driven so I'll let you know how it goes.
Regards
Mark Pain
April 8, 2011 at 8:30 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Peter 334
g,day marj our oka was fitted with a new gear box a short while ago and although it dosnt jump out of gears. The linkage change its heavy to change into any gear you need to be king kong to do it ,so sometimes i think the linkage arm is built too heavy , , the weight of the linkage arm is so heavy and could play a part in it, on ours i am going to fit springs to help with the changing of the gears its all trial and error as our is off the road at the moment making somethink to suit will take some time and effort
April 11, 2011 at 7:10 PM Flag Quote & Reply

joseph baz
One thing that can give you problems is excessive play in the selector shaft, I know of recon boxes only to use the old selector housing with the old wear and tear, if you're fitting a new box as a complete unit, you will need to do some fine tuning with the linkages/cables, it's time consuming but it will pay off at the end. Heavy selecting is usually related to lack of lubrication or worn out components.
Cheers Joe
April 11, 2011 at 8:36 PM Flag Quote & Reply

This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
I posted an enquiry on gear shift linkage adjustment about 8 months ago & got some good responses, think it was about here.

Darren
April 12, 2011 at 12:22 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Outback Jack
Old post, but do some people change the Spicer gearbox to cable?? I thought it was only the transfer that could be done?
--

August 12, 2012 at 9:41 PM

David and Janet Ribbans - Oka 148
Oka148 profile here.
Visit our technical and travel blogs: here.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.