site quiet

More
02 Nov 2012 22:34 #1 by dandjcr
dandjcr created the topic: site quiet
Forum Home > On the Road > site quiet

Garry & Chris
The site has been very quiet for a couple of weeks !!!
No one been anywhere?
No one has any problems or advice?
Obviously everyone's OKA is in perfect working order???
December 3, 2010 at 8:09 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Tony Lee
Wrong season to be going anywhere much.

Soon be OK to head down to Tasmania though - maybe next summer for us. Did a few 4WD tracks last time in the Suzuki so will be looking to do the rest in the OKA.
--
Tony

picasaweb.google.com/114611728110254134379

December 3, 2010 at 10:34 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Hal Harvey
Site Owner
Busy busy time of year for us. But we did get back to Shark Bay for five days two weeks ago - still haven't downloaded the pics from the camera! Work trip to Mooloolaba since then - beautiful Queensland, perfect one day, raining for six months after that! I'll get a trip report up soon - I think we got some pretty shots.

Number 260 is now in for a few mods, 10mm top leaves, 25mm shackle pins, window scissor lifts, maybe thinner window glass... always something to do, needed or not.
--
Hal

December 4, 2010 at 2:32 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Outback Jack
Lucky you have the LT, which I could get the shackle pins, but still not a kit out yet from OKA.

The sciccors lifts are great, except the passenger side keeps coming down......

Should get the new roof and snorkel done why your there. It sounds sweet with the new snorkel and air cleaner.

Maybe also look at the NT style wipers, should be a easy swap on a LT, Al would know better.
--

December 4, 2010 at 3:19 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Tony Lee
"The sciccors lifts are great, except the passenger side keeps coming down......"

Hmmmmm! Something doesn't quite add up with this sentence.

--
Tony

December 4, 2010 at 4:01 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Outback Jack
Basically the scissor lifts I have where modified from a right scissor lift. So the left hand side has no tension on it, as the coil is the wrong way, if that makes sense.

If I had more time in Perth OKA would have had it sorted, but I ran out of time.

The wonderfull team at OKA are on to it and there should be a fix coming out soon.
--

December 4, 2010 at 5:02 PM Flag Quote & Reply

John & Laura Szkoruda
The girl is having a full service done ready for a trip to SA soon. Did a weekend trip to Orange NSW for 4wd challenge but nothing of great interest.Maybe we will pass a few Oka's on the way to Port Lincon??? Done nothing but rain here, yes Hal typical east coast ha ha ha. WA looking good!!
--
John & Laura Szkoruda OKA 147

December 5, 2010 at 6:44 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Tony Lee
"Basically the scissor lifts I have where modified from a right scissor lift. So the left hand side has no tension on it, as the coil is the wrong way, if that makes sense."

Couldn't resist having a dig. I'm sure you have it all sorted out.
--
Tony

December 5, 2010 at 9:20 PM Flag Quote & Reply

joseph baz
STB oka,did you retain the old glass with the upgrade or you opted for the new lighter glass? as I don't think the lifts like the heavier glass.
Cheers
Joe
December 6, 2010 at 8:54 AM Flag Quote & Reply

len&rina
208 is now back on road and we are rectifying problems as we go.Having travelled from Brisbane to S.A.and bogging twice in mud,it is my belief that the 19.5"wheels with Michelin tyres are not at all suitable for such conditions, so we will give the mud a miss.We will spend the next 3months getting to Coolgardy via Yorke and Eyre peninsulas,and then get Robin to give the mechanicals the once over.
--

December 6, 2010 at 1:46 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Tony Lee
".Having travelled from Brisbane to S.A.and bogging twice in mud,it is my belief that the 19.5"wheels with Michelin tyres are not at all suitable for such conditions, so we will give the mud a miss."

The road prefers it too.

We had very heavy going north of White Cliffs, Dalhousie to Mt Dare, Plenty Highway, for the whole section of the Simpson between Eyre Creek and Birdsville and then south from Birdsville when the road finally opened and the OKA got through it no less easily than smaller 4WDs with very agressive tyres. The one time I did get bogged, all it took was a few shovel-fulls removed from in front and behind the wheels and away we went again. (was just as well because I ran out 40 metres of wire rope and 60 of synthetic and a long tow strap and just reached the only tree within sight - and promptly pulled it out of the ground because of the saturated ground.)

I'm happy with the 19.5" wheel and Michellin XDE2 in all the conditions we encountered in 4 months travelling the centre during the widest range of conditions it would be possible to experience. We do adjust the tyre pressures and speed according to conditions as per Michellin recommendations and this applies as soon as we get off the bitumen and it is clear that there will be no bitumen for an hour or more.

8000km and the tyres look brand new.

BTW, in that 4 months we spent nearly 4 weeks waiting for conditions to improve, or for legally-closed roads to reopen.
--
Tony

December 6, 2010 at 4:10 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Outback Jack
joseph baz at December 6, 2010 at 8:54 AM
STB oka,did you retain the old glass with the upgrade or you opted for the new lighter glass? as I don't think the lifts like the heavier glass.
Cheers
Joe
Retain old glass. Drivers side is fine. It is because the scissor lift coil is on the wrong side, therefore no tension. I believe even with the new glass the window would go down.
--

December 6, 2010 at 4:41 PM

David and Janet Ribbans - Oka 148
Oka148 profile here.
Visit our technical and travel blogs: here.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.