ARB locker prices

More
30 Oct 2012 13:50 - 30 Oct 2012 14:14 #1 by dandjcr
dandjcr created the topic: ARB locker prices
Forum Home > OKA Maintenance > ARB locker prices

joseph baz
To shorten a long story,Called ARB in Perth,price for Dana 60 locker given $1325-00 Incl GST+ installation,look around the net and to my dismay I can get the locker from the US from $825+169 for FedEx freight,contacted ARB head office just to ask if all lockers are made in Aus and they reply yes!...so how it is that it can go from OZ to US and back to OZ and we can get it cheaper from a US retailer,you can't blame the GST or the currency diferential as the Fedex cost cover for that,personally I think is just a plain ripping off as they are the sitting pretty in Oz being the only locker manufacturer for Dana 60,I emailed my query to head office over six weeks ago and surprise..surprise I received no answer,it looks like it won't be a ARB locker fitted to my 60.
Cheers
Joe
July 11, 2010 at 12:22 PM Flag Quote & Reply

okadoc
I agree totally and have after speaking with Shawn from the horsepower shop in the states, changed from the ARB air locker to the detroit. Shawn pointed out that air lockers in general require maintenance after 12 to 24 months of installation, as there are more parts to go wrong. Having issues out in the deserts or wherever when your livelihood depends on reliability is not an option for us.

We are building a service fleet of five OKAs which are being completely revamped with complete new drive trains. 350HP Cummins 6BT/900torque, NV 4500 manual trans with oil cooling, NP205 transfer cases/3.1/1.1, Dynatrac Dana 80 diffs front and rear with Dynatrac steering components.

We have the engineering section of Michelin Australia investigating tyre selection and will post when all info in. Shawn expects to see the OKA running at 1500 rpm @ approx 9 klm/litre cruisin at 90 km/h. The torque is right up there at these revs. We purchased an OKA with a 6.5 turbo Chev V8 diesel, and after trialling and testing we decided against these motors mainly due to heat and reliability amongst other issues. It will be for sale near future along with 60/70s Dana diffs and other drive train goodies. The cost of mods is extremely cheap compared to buying in OZ . Cheers
--
July 12, 2010 at 1:35 PM Flag Quote & Reply

joseph baz
Really good upgrade,it should make a good bus better! did you had a look at the Dana 80 that Paul Nott had made,he gave me some photos and it looks bulletproof,he got his made with the F450 4 piston brake calipers,I"m already saving the pennies for the conversion,these also have removable spindles to the rear and the track has been increased by 100mm and the castings are much higher rated than the original 80;s.Are you planning to use the OKA's for desert work or just around Newman?
Cheers
Joe
July 12, 2010 at 6:09 PM Flag Quote & Reply

okadoc
Hi Joe,

I have discussed the 80 with Paul and they sound really tops but he couldn't put a delivery time frame so we went overseas and found Dynatrac on the net. They also have a formidable reputation for quality etc. I've spoken with quite a few of the users and Shawn from thehorsepowershop.com and he advised that we wouldn't find better or stronger diffs that he knows of. He knows Dan the man from Dynatrac through his involvement with the London to Dakar event. They fitted out an OKA with the same gear he's suppling us, and it all performed flawlessly until the original diffs expired, so they went the hog on the Dynatracs and they're still there.

We found the standard 4wd utes especially the Mazda BT50 (be warned, you don't have to beat the snot out of em to get a runny nose) and cruisers are just not cut out for the hard continuous slog across the interior to the exploration camps etc, so we tried the 4cyl OKA and it put up a far better show, but power and the usual suspects were telling, and as we love the OKA concept (great body shame about the face) in cheek, the low purchase price for earlier units plus a dress up with all the good gear adds up to an absolutely capable reliable beast for very reasonable unbeatable value, and unless you wanna blow the house and mistress and buy a Unimug! Then what else is as good a value for your hard earned smakaroos.

Plus when we sell the business the best one go with us. Happy travels to all, cheers Doc Davey
--
July 12, 2010 at 7:50 PM Flag Quote & Reply

joseph baz
Doc,it looks like you've done you home work,if you dont mind let us know how the Michelin results turn up,I'm a big fan of michies(not fan of the prices)
Cheers
Joe
July 13, 2010 at 10:08 PM Flag Quote & Reply

okadoc
Hi Joseh, no word from Levi from Michelin yet but will keep you posted. Have found engine bay size to be a challenge with my stated preferences for the cummins and working over the ruler to reach a final conclusion also seeking anecdotal evidence as to the bonafidies of stated economy 9l/km could be a bit of a contract me thinks never mind whatever we end up with will be well tried and proven and Im enjoying the challenge so catch up later with update, cheers Doc
July 16, 2010 at 4:49 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Alister McBride
Hi Doc,
Good to hear your mods are going well!
I hope i'm not being rude in asking but i'm wondering how much you're looking at to fit a vehicle out with the dynatrac axles? I'm interested in an upgrade some day in the future.
Did you look at using the 70 or 80 series axles dynatrac produce? Quite a few people have found just upgrading the front axle to a dana 70 from one of the old inters is adequate which i imagine would be similar in strength...
Cheers,
Alister
July 16, 2010 at 8:45 PM Flag Quote & Reply

okadoc
Hi Joe, we have ordered the Dynatrac 80 front and rear axles complete with Detroit locker in rear lsd in front they cost US $ 4700 rear and 6800 front approx will update on all up costs when project finished
July 17, 2010 at 1:49 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Peter_n_Margaret
Doc, will/can you get a GVM increase with those axle mods and what extra weight will they be?

Cheers,
Peter
--
Cheers Peter, OKA196 Motorhome. www.oka4wd.com/xt196.htm

July 17, 2010 at 6:15 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Outback Jack
Whats it going to cost to get a 6bta into a OKA? 20K?? So with diffs and engine your looking at 30K plus???
July 17, 2010 at 10:17 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Outback Jack
Does anyone know the part number for the rear lockers???
--

February 22, 2011 at 1:01 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Peter & Sandra James Oka 374
See the ARB website has an application chart here
--
Oka 374 LT Van

February 22, 2011 at 9:30 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Outback Jack
Cheers for that, it doesnt list the OKA.

It does list dana diffs, but one needs to know which one, ratio`s etc etc.
--

February 22, 2011 at 10:06 PM Flag Quote & Reply

joseph baz
If you are running 35 spl axles the rear will be RD53,front from memory will be RD 166/ ?? have to double check,personally i think the powerlok works better at the front
cheers
Joe
February 23, 2011 at 7:41 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Outback Jack
Thanks Joe, thats what I was after, Not looking at the front.

Still not sure about the rear either, but looking at options for the rear,
--

February 23, 2011 at 7:59 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Dean & Kaye Howells
Hi Joe, did some drive train upgrades on #413 last year before our CSR jaunt. Replaced both diffs. (60 & 70) with Dana/Spicer powerlok hubs. Also upgraded rear axles and front half axles to 35 spline, new FWH's and replaced all axle/diff/steering bearings and seals as well. Also replaced front axle uni's and re-drilled and replaced uni caps (where possible) with proper solid caps. #413 already has a NT transfer case. All the bits and diff set up expertise came from Paul Nott and we are very happy with the result.
Had a few concerns about LSD on the front and possible 'steering on ' problems but this has not been an issue at all. Set up works perfectly with no buttons to push or levers to pull (or forget to). Definitely a good set and forget solution. Tried it in the mountains North of Glenmaggie early in the new year and found the set up to work well in steep/loose surface conditions. Way better than air lockers whose operation/release can be an issue at times as well as more complex to keep operational and reliable.
All up cost of between $5 - 6K and was well worth it. Next up is steering knuckle/arm upgrade which will cost another $1K or so but the result we are aiming for is rock solid strength and reliability for our outback travelling. Hell of a lot easier and ultimately cheaper to do this at home in the shed than repairs on the side of the road. The ultimate goal is the ability to bring the tool box home un-opened, after a trip.
Don't know what plans you have for your OKA Joe, but for bitumen, sand, dirt and loose surface I reckon the twin LSD's is a very simple and effective set up.

Dean.
--
February 23, 2011 at 11:43 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Outback Jack
I think my OKA as the LSD in the rear, cant remember now. Which I think is the Dana Power Lok.
I forget the rears where 30 spline, maybe another mod that needs to be done...... I would like to upgrade the fronts to 35 spline as well.
However I dont think there has been a lot of diff failures over the years with the standard set up. But maybe I am wrong.
--

February 23, 2011 at 1:51 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Dean & Kaye Howells
Outback Jack at February 23, 2011 at 1:51 PM
I think my OKA as the LSD in the rear, cant remember now. Which I think is the Dana Power Lok.
I forget the rears where 30 spline, maybe another mod that needs to be done...... I would like to upgrade the fronts to 35 spline as well.
However I dont think there has been a lot of diff failures over the years with the standard set up. But maybe I am wrong.
On our LT the front axles were already 35 spline with 32 spline on the outer axles from the uni joint out; crazy set up really, I don't know why they weren't 35 spline all the way. Cost saving probably. Just as well I pulled it all to bits as I found the driver side uni. absolutely knackered.
The idea of replacing the diff centre (retaining original crown wheel and pinion) with the LSD was to get drive to both wheels. The bonus of replacing the outer axles with 35 spline axles was additional strength. Seemed a bit silly having comparatively weak (32 spline) outer axles with stronger (35 spline) inners.

Deano
--
February 23, 2011 at 7:39 PM Flag Quote & Reply

274 has the factory LSD which seems to work well, which it should do as it has only done 83k in 14 years.
--
Oka 374 LT Van

February 24, 2011 at 7:00 AM Flag Quote & Reply

The old brain kicked into gear this morning ;-)) There is an alternative manually operated locker to the ARB for our diffs. Eaton (in the USA) make a diff centre called an E Locker, normally it is an LSD but can be electrically operated by solenoid to be fully locked. They make them for different vehicles and centres and some are fitted OEM including to the last of the H1 Hummers instead of the original Torsen auto lockers which my Humvee has. Quite a few of the Aussie Humvee and H1 owners have imported them and had them fitted with great success.
www.eaton.com/ecm/groups/public/@pub/@ea...ontent/ct_128302.pdf
They make them to fit Dana 60's and 70's

February 25, 2011 at 7:00 AM

I just had a quick look on the net, this place had the Eaton E-Locker for a Dana 60 at $813 + shipping.
February 25, 2011 at 7:09 AM Flag Quote & Reply

joseph baz
well that's the point that i was making a while back,we are been ripped of by the manufacturer,I got quoted over $1300 by ARB in Perth,the annoying thing is that no matter were you get it from they still make their share.
cheers,joe
February 25, 2011 at 9:54 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Hal Harvey
Site Owner
Eaton E-Locker:

February 26, 2011 at 6:51 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Hal Harvey
Site Owner
ARB Air Locker:

February 26, 2011 at 7:25 PM Flag Quote & Reply

James & Usha (THEByleDuct)
Administrator
Thanks for the videos Hal - great to see the inner workings.
--
OKA #072

February 27, 2011 at 2:32 PM Flag Quote & Reply

joseph baz
joseph baz at February 23, 2011 at 7:41 AM
If you are running 35 spl axles the rear will be RD53,front from memory will be RD 166/ ?? have to double check,personally i think the powerlok works better at the front
cheers
Joe
Stand corrected,for the Dana 70,35 splines should be RD65 (after 1993)
cheers Joe
February 27, 2011 at 4:04 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Outback Jack
/Does a OKA have 32 or 35 splines standard in the rear??
--

August 3, 2012 at 11:18 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Dean & Kaye Howells
#413 had 32 spline in the rear. Upgraded to 35 spline with rear LSD.
Front had 35 spline inners and 32 spline outers, upgraded to all 35 spline with front LSD.

Deano
August 4, 2012 at 11:52 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Moose2367
Mine has 32 spline rears.

With the ARB thing, it was cheaper to get a locker ADN compressor from the USA than just a locker here.

ARB apparently won't warranty them if you buy from O/S though, i'm sure if it came to it that the ACCC would back the buyer though.
August 4, 2012 at 12:03 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Outback Jack
Ok thanks, I thought they where 35 spline rears. So learnt something new now.
--

August 4, 2012 at 1:22 PM

David and Janet Ribbans - Oka 148
Oka148 profile here.
Visit our technical and travel blogs: here.
Last Edit: 30 Oct 2012 14:14 by dandjcr.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.