Sand Mats - What do people use?

More
29 Aug 2013 20:07 - 29 Aug 2013 20:11 #21 by TH
TH replied the topic: Sand Mats - What do people use?
That's a rear axle, Peter. This is apparently a common fail but I've never seen or heard of it before.

I had trouble getting the hub to partially rotate after removing the axle studs but it's not inconceivable that you could get mobile if there was no other choice, well until the whole wheel and hub fell off.

Apologies for getting off topic

Cheers, Tony
Last Edit: 29 Aug 2013 20:11 by TH.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
30 Aug 2013 06:06 #22 by Peter and Sandra OKA 374
Peter and Sandra OKA 374 replied the topic: Sand Mats - What do people use?
Unusual failure point, they usually fail either at the end of the spline section on the inner end or twist off at the outer end inboard from the point where it leaves the hub. Both cases would be where presumably the case hardening stops.
Maybe it bent due to the torque and then jammed and momentum sheared/twisted the outer end.

OKA 374 LT Van, converted to camper/motorhome,
400ah Lithiums, 1100w solar, diesel cooking heating and HWS,
Cummins 6BT, Allison 6 speed auto, Nissan transfer.

More
30 Aug 2013 06:28 #23 by TH
Never underestimate the destructive capability of a backpacker :D

Cheers, Tony

More
30 Aug 2013 06:31 #24 by Ralley
Ralley replied the topic: Sand Mats - What do people use?
Fairly common in the 80 series but not so in the 100 series the picture appears to be a 100 series. The drive bolts are not very high tensile and people over tighten them or don't check them when they do a service. Another thing that happens is to get the collets out people hit the edge of the axle which distorts the hole which makes it hard to keep the nuts tight. In the 80 you can either put high tensile studs in or modify it to take 100 series studs. In my 80 I tension them often and change studs in they're stretched.
Rob

More
30 Aug 2013 06:39 #25 by TH
The axle twisted off in the stub. Studs were fine I just removed them to try and twist the end of the axle out.

Cheers, Tony