Rear Tow Points

More
31 Oct 2012 21:47 #1 by dandjcr
dandjcr created the topic: Rear Tow Points
Forum Home > OKA Maintenance > Rear Tow Points

Dandj
I just drilled 2 holes in our Oka.
Perhaps I should explain. After we bought our Oka we removed the tow bar so we could use the space across the rear for an additional fuel tank. So for years we've had no rear towing points.
To address this I drilled a 22mm hole in the 8mm side plate of both the rear bullbars to fit bow shackles.

These notes on our blog provide a bit more info.
Simple but effective.
--
David and Janet Ribbans, Oka 148

June 6, 2011 at 11:09 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Hal Harvey
Site Owner
Cheers David,

That did bring to mind a question I've long had - on Okas that have factory towbars, most have an 'additional' receiver underneath the bar and a handspan to the left. What is the real reason for this?

--
Hal

June 6, 2011 at 12:57 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Dandj
Hal, i'm not sure but maybe it's for storing spare receiver hitches with different fittings (hook vs ball vs pin)?
In fact the spare receiver on mine is mounted sideways so it's certainly not intended for towing.

BTW, my old towbar is for sale if anyone is interested >>edit now sold<<. A bit of surface rust and the pin hole is slightly oval but otherwise OK. With heavy duty mounting frames, and I could probably dig up a few hitches.
It will have to be picked up or I could deliver it in the Adelaide area.
--

June 6, 2011 at 2:00 PM Flag Quote & Reply

James & Usha (THEByleDuct)
Administrator
Once again a great write up David. I'm guessing the rear bullbars you talk of are particular to the bus bodies as iLean (Twin Cab) doesn't have them. The additional receiver on mine is offset at an angle - neither parallel nor perpendicular to the towbar so there seems to be a wide degree of variation on this.
--
OKA #072

June 6, 2011 at 3:55 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Peter & Sandra James Oka 374
The second square fitting off to the side is to carry the hitch in so it isn't sticking out the back. You could also carry a spare one with a different height or fitting (pintle instead of ball) in the second one as well.
The little curved tab is so it can either be padlocked or just a retaining pin to stop it coming out.
--
Oka 374 LT Van

June 6, 2011 at 8:40 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Dandj
James, thanks for that, I tend to forget that there are models other than bus bodies.
Peter, good point, they can be shin magnets on smaller vehicles.

--

June 6, 2011 at 9:58 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Hal Harvey
Site Owner
Cheers Peter and all, I hadn't seen angled or sideways ones so that confirms it. But for all these years I've never carried the second hitch in it, or stowed the original in it; so a while back I took the big plug with the shackle fitting on the end of it, and slotted it in there to leave the real hitch receiver free.

It took a bit of filing to make enough room to fit a bolt on the backside, in just the right position. I might have done some drilling too, but I do remember a lot of filing. Then secured with a high-tensile stainless bolt (that was expensive for one bolt), and it's in there full time.

If you're wondering how I come to still have five vacant hitch receivers even after two are filled, well, the bike rack goes on the upper central one, and the winch mount goes in the outside ones (uses two), and the cooler rack can go on the back as well, and so can the recovery gear box... rod holders... cutting board... they're really very handy.
--
Hal

June 9, 2011 at 11:59 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Alister McBride
I was going to ask if it comes with a kitchen sink but i'm realising that's probably a silly question with you Hal! haha
This may be a silly question though, i've never seen a tow 'ball' like that, how does it work? Any links to websites with the setup on there?
Cheers
Al
June 10, 2011 at 10:14 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Hal Harvey
Site Owner
That's a McHitch - not a bad thing. It has the off-road-ability of a Treg but uses a LandCruiser-size universal joint instead of the poly block, and the cone 'ball' is easier to connect up than a Treg. Then the hitch bolts down solid into and on to the cone (hitch pin is the only tool you need), locks with a separate spring-loaded dog, and then a standard hitch pin marries into the whole arrangement to further secure it. No noise, complete flex and easily lined up. I leave a locking hitch pin in the trailer part of the hitch when the trailer is off the vehicle, so even if somebody had the right towbar, they still can't attach it. It's a very clever design, and Australian-made.

Hmmm... more interesting stuff to look at!

There's enough tension in the uni joint that it stays where it's put - i.e. doesn't flop down when unhitched, but still easily redirected by hand. The brake part is standard Trigg Brothers stuff, interchangeable with the common fittings.
--
Hal

June 10, 2011 at 5:17 PM Flag Quote & Reply

deedy
Dandj at June 6, 2011 at 2:00 PM
Hal, i'm not sure but maybe it's for storing spare receiver hitches with different fittings (hook vs ball vs pin)?
In fact the spare receiver on mine is mounted sideways so it's certainly not intended for towing.

BTW, my old towbar is for sale if anyone is interested, $100 ono. A bit of surface rust and the pin hole is slightly oval but otherwise OK. With heavy duty mounting frames, and I could probably dig up a few hitches.
It will have to be picked up or I could deliver it in the Adelaide area.
Hi,
I need to extend my tow bar 50mm out. Will Does this tow bar allow for a 50mm extension if bolt holes are redrilled? As mine willnot without mods. Thanks
Chris
June 10, 2011 at 8:42 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Alister McBride
Looks good Hal! I hadn't ever seen one before... 3.5T and 6T load rating, very nice!
I guess without having used either and just on face value probably the only advantage with the treg would be that the pins interlink so that if the poly block disintergrates the pins will still hold on where as if the uni lets go it's good bye trailer (although very extremely unlikely!). I guess other than that they're pretty similar, why did you choose this one Hal?
Cheers,
Al
June 10, 2011 at 9:07 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Hal Harvey
Site Owner
>> why did you choose this one <<
The trailer was getting a Treg as standard issue, but I kept hearing stories about how difficult they can be to get linked up - alignment issues. What I read and heard about the McHitch indicated it was a lot easier, and while it's not infallible (you still have to be reasonably close, especially with a heavy trailer), it's certainly easy enough. The uni would cop heaps more stress under any 'Cruiser, and they hold together there, so no problem in this exercise I'm sure.
--
Hal

June 10, 2011 at 9:17 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Dandj
Chris, my towbar has now been sold.
However, to extend a towbar outwards, you would probably be better off acquiring a hitch with the length you require rather than modify the receiver itself, which could weaken its mountings.
Regards
--

June 11, 2011 at 8:38 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Hal Harvey
Site Owner
>>I was going to ask if it comes with a kitchen sink<<

Just the poverty pack...

-

Actually with seven or eight litres of water, a spoonful of detergent, a lid and 50km of corrugated road, that will probably make a fair washing machine too.
--
Hal

June 12, 2011 at 1:16 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Alister McBride
Didn't i know it! 10 points!
June 12, 2011 at 8:35 AM Flag Quote & Reply

deedy
Hal Harvey at June 9, 2011 at 11:59 PM
Cheers Peter and all, I hadn't seen angled or sideways ones so that confirms it. But for all these years I've never carried the second hitch in it, or stowed the original in it; so a while back I took the big plug with the shackle fitting on the end of it, and slotted it in there to leave the real hitch receiver free.

It took a bit of filing to make enough room to fit a bolt on the backside, in just the right position. I might have done some drilling too, but I do remember a lot of filing. Then secured with a high-tensile stainless bolt (that was expensive for one bolt), and it's in there full time.

If you're wondering how I come to still have five vacant hitch receivers even after two are filled, well, the bike rack goes on the upper central one, and the winch mount goes in the outside ones (uses two), and the cooler rack can go on the back as well, and so can the recovery gear box... rod holders... cutting board... they're really very handy.
Hi where did you get your towbar made and how much was it?
Thanks
Chris
June 13, 2011 at 11:43 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Hal Harvey
Site Owner
That's the original equipment towbar for an Oka, done for the factory by Parkside Towbars in Perth. No idea what it's worth as it was on the vehicle when I bought it.

The accessory receivers were all done by Towbar City in Osborne Park, WA, in three separate exercises - once again no recollection of cost, but not a lot.
--
Hal

June 13, 2011 at 2:48 PM

David and Janet Ribbans - Oka 148
Oka148 profile here.
Visit our technical and travel blogs: here.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.