#297 - 20 years in a shed - time to wakey wakey :)

More
17 Apr 2022 10:59 #41 by Dave Blythe
Dave Blythe replied the topic: #297 - 20 years in a shed - time to wakey wakey :)
Hi Fran and George and thanks heaps for your message and photo.
Your setup is pretty much what I'd like to achieve, although I'm trying to get the camper to be a slide on for flexibility.
If you're willing I'd value a phone call as I have so many questions and I'm sure you have much learning.
I'm in Sydney for time zone purposes and can be found on 0498 143 246.
Cheers
Dave n Sharon

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
17 Apr 2022 11:43 #42 by Peter_n_Margaret
Peter_n_Margaret replied the topic: #297 - 20 years in a shed - time to wakey wakey :)
We had an F350 4WD with a slide-on prior to the OKA
We eventually fixed the slide-on "permanently" to the tray and immediately, registration and insurance became cheaper as a "motorhome".
Even as a slide-on, water tanks etc can be below the floor and connected with QCs.
Cheers,
Peter

Cheers, Peter.
OKA196 tinyurl.com/OKA196xtMotorhome
Mob.0428171214

More
18 Apr 2022 07:24 #43 by Dave Blythe
Dave Blythe replied the topic: #297 - 20 years in a shed - time to wakey wakey :)
Once the engine/box work is done and the tray off I'll have more certainty about what can go where tank-wise.
I hear the OKA had a ss water tank option are these still available and is it a good idea?

More
18 Apr 2022 07:33 #44 by Peter_n_Margaret
Peter_n_Margaret replied the topic: #297 - 20 years in a shed - time to wakey wakey :)
#196 came with an OEM stainless steel 100L watertank. It constantly fatigue cracked and is specifically why I developed the 130L rotomoulded plastic replacement which is also lighter and guranteed to be rock proof and never crack.
Cheers,
Peter

Cheers, Peter.
Mob.0428171214

More
19 Apr 2022 06:15 #45 by Peter and Sandra OKA 374
Peter and Sandra OKA 374 replied the topic: #297 - 20 years in a shed - time to wakey wakey :)
Yes the stainless tank is a constant source of problems, in fact any tank that is fabricated to mount with attached tabs will eventually crack. The best way to mount any tank is to hold it up with straps, pretty much every OE motor vehicle fuel tank is mounted with straps as it allows them to flex and move enough to prevent cracking.
Peter's tanks are a good thing but will probably only fit a standard Oka drivetrain and there aren't too many of them around these days.

OKA 374 LT Van, converted to camper/motorhome,
400ah Lithiums, 1100w solar, diesel cooking heating and HWS,
Cummins 6BT, Allison 6 speed auto, Nissan transfer.

More
19 Apr 2022 06:46 #46 by fran philipson
fran philipson replied the topic: #297 - 20 years in a shed - time to wakey wakey :)
I agree with Peter. Our original OKA water tank cracked near the rear mount. I welded it up and supported it at the rear with a strap and have not had any trouble since.
Cheers George

More
19 Apr 2022 11:15 #47 by Peter_n_Margaret
The 130L LH side inboard tank suits standard XTs and LTs. Can not answer for other variants.
The 200L outboard tank fits any XT or LT I reckon, either side, but uses the battery space if the chassis is not extended. I will be moving the battery on #077 to above the air cleaner. Not sure about NT.
Both are much thicker wall section than traditional poly tanks and the positions of fillers and take-offs are individually configurable to suit.
Cheers,
Peter

Cheers, Peter.
Mob.0428171214

More
19 Apr 2022 14:29 #48 by Dave Blythe
Just a quick heads-up....In July there will be my standard Perkins motor with Spicer box and Rockwell case for sale.
91,xxx genuine Klm.
I'll post in the relevant section however anyone looking here can get in touch now onwards.
Dave

More
11 May 2022 15:42 - 11 May 2022 15:49 #49 by Dave Blythe
297 is progressing well, the old motorhome is cut off and shes back to a svelte SC Ute.
Fixed a few minor issues:

-washer pump died, got a $10 denso pump from the scrappy and made it fit, works nicely
-cabin heater control cable has seized and caused the plastic operating lever to spit the dummy, fixed
-numerous loose fixing and stuffed up threads drilled out and rivnutted, fixed
-external sunvisor mid length fastners missing, fixed
-OKA Chris 2x new 150L tanks ordered, fixed
-tomorrow she's off to the local Mudgee hydraulic guys to have her lines and brake hoses checked/replaced, fixed

And (drum roll) the Allison 1000 6 speed auto has arrived at my mechanics.
In 4 weeks I'll take Her down for the Cummins/Allison transplant.
Attachments:
Last Edit: 11 May 2022 15:49 by Dave Blythe.
The following user(s) said Thank You: 210greg

More
16 May 2022 21:25 #50 by Holmz
Holmz replied the topic: #297 - 20 years in a shed - time to wakey wakey :)

Paul Scherek wrote: George and Fran have asked me to insert a photo of their Oka...... it is a very neat arrangement.

File Attachment:

File Name: Oka_George.pdf
File Size:286 KB

Are there inside pictures of this one?