OKA Gathering 2018

More
07 Oct 2017 09:59 #41 by Peter_n_Margaret
Peter_n_Margaret replied the topic: OKA Gathering 2018
My response just went to heaven...... :(

What has been proposed here is a gathering further west for those who live in the other half of the country.
I have no problem with an East Coast gathering as well, but not instead of....
I do like the idea of a slow cruise through some different country for those with less off road experience.

Cheers,
Peter

Cheers, Peter.
OKA196 tinyurl.com/OKA196xtMotorhome
Mob.0428171214

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
07 Oct 2017 17:56 #42 by Robb
Robb replied the topic: OKA Gathering 2018
Just a thought Peter. Maybe get togethers or trips in all states ? different times of year depending on climate/wheather ?
But let's organise something . We not long ago did a desert run with other OKA's was brilliant with great company... we all should do more of it ,I like Harry's idea, the trip Dean is talking about sounds great but because of distance for us not sure if we can find the time that's were we need a bit of notice to plan ahead.
Cheers Robb

More
08 Oct 2017 11:02 #43 by Holmz
Holmz replied the topic: OKA Gathering 2018

dandjcr wrote: Having done the Anne Beadell and Emu atomic test sites (with David in 2008), and stood at the site of a test explosion, albeit 55 years later, the Maralinga tour is certainly of interest to us.

Probably not the best place for a rowdy Oka gathering but not too far from the south coast, so possibly a good pre or post gathering trip.

David

^This^ looks like a good trip, and close by.

Paul Scherek wrote: I for one think a travelling Oka meet is a wonderful idea. I am not really much good at just sitting around all day - but travelling and then stopping early enough for a good campfire and yarn is just the thing. Googs Track seems like a great choice but I am happy with any travelling meet.

I do not know that ^Googs track^ but I like the idea of a wander around rather than “being planted”.

Dean and Kaye Howells wrote: What about Googs Lake as a venue ?

Easy half day drive (2WD in Oka but 4WD from dog fence if vehicle/track sympathetic) from Ceduna, byo everything including water and firewood (easily gathered along the way). Long drop toilet on site and plenty of room. :)

Traveling south down Googs Track a bit harder (for northerners) but easily Oka doable though the dunes were pretty chopped up on our south/north trip earlier this year.

Recommended travel direction is south to north which gives the opportunity for an overnight nostalgic stay at Kingoonya for us 'old' Centralian travellers :)

Deano :)

Well the centre is better in cooler weather, but I am interested in trips accessible from the centre.
If we are headed from WA then Ceduna would be generally “on the way”…

Robb wrote: OK, my 2 bobs,
Couple of things, would it be a good idea to select 2-3-4 different areas or sites in Qld,NSW,VIC maybe SA (remembering its the East Coast OKA gathering) and rotating them from year to year so that people can plan ahead...unfortunately we still have a business to run, mortgages to pay all that boring stuff. not retired yet.
Also should we have the get together the week after Australia Day to get away from school holidays and all those ...none OKA types.We generally never go away when there is any type of holiday as we bought an OKA to get away from the rat race.
I think i said this last year I'm happy to help organise the get together on any of the Qld beaches such as Fraser, Morton...good 4 wheeling a bit of fishing,relaxing all that stuff (And no the beaches wont damage your truck if you go there every blue moon and know how to use a hose when you get home)
We've enjoyed the OKA get together's and will certainly try to make it to the next one,
Lets keep the OKA dream alive!
cheers Robb

I’m interested in all of ^that^… and the idea of rotating meetings is good.
Realistically working out time frames will be my limitation.

More
10 Oct 2017 18:48 #44 by Garry and Chris
Garry and Chris replied the topic: OKA Gathering 2018
What about Bendetha cave NSW ?
Nice spot river drop loos
Definitely 4wd to get in especially from Cooma of snowball track

OKA 306

More
11 Oct 2017 03:40 #45 by Peter and Sandra OKA 374
Peter and Sandra OKA 374 replied the topic: OKA Gathering 2018
Bendethra is a nice spot but you definitely don't want to be there in any holiday period or even weekends as it is jam packed, in warmer weather it gets very hot with usually no breezes.

OKA 374 LT Van, converted to camper/motorhome,
400ah Lithiums, 1100w solar, diesel cooking heating and HWS,
Cummins 6BT, Allison 6 speed auto, Nissan transfer.

More
11 Oct 2017 10:00 #46 by Lang
Lang replied the topic: OKA Gathering 2018
Like last year the topic is starting to circle.

If we are to have a gathering in Summer (Australia Day period?) there are a number of seaside or mountain suggestions. We just need someone to say "I am going here on this day" and get a couple of quick joiners and the job is done. If the feeling is for more central and a cooler period required we still have a bit of discussion time.

My two bob's worth is not interested in Snowy region again and want somewhere different to burn up $1,000 of fuel.

Lang
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dean and Kaye Howells

More
22 Oct 2017 10:25 #47 by mort
mort replied the topic: OKA Gathering 2018
Hi All,
I like Robb's idea of a get-together in all states and even at different times rather than one because it would give people who may want to do something with others but cant justify the long travel or dont have the time and then have a big get-together say once every 4 years and make it somewhere that every one wants to put in the effort to get there and has the time to plan their holidays around it.
Maybe the time is not the best being Aussie day as it is in summer and can be hot unless its in the snowy and not much time but say Easter as the temp is milder and more days off for those that have work or other commitments and yes there is crowds but not every one is retired and we have to cater for all not just a few.
As Lang said a decision has to be made and stick with it, I am in Perth so I cant make the decision for you lot over East.
A few years ago someone had offered a site on a property that they had up the mid coast NSW, the photo looked great I cant remember who it was but maybe it is still available and as private land no crowds unless you include a bunch of OKA's as a crowd.
Martyn

More
23 Oct 2017 14:15 - 23 Oct 2017 14:35 #48 by Harry
Harry replied the topic: OKA Gathering 2018
Food for thought I have never been there but it looks nice . I know it is in Victoria
Perhaps when and where we have our next gathering we could sit around a campfire and pick a few spots for the following year and decide while at the gathering ( now that is a great idea )
While I am hot on ideas ( that does not happen very often just ask Jenny ) perhaps we could have ,since it is the East Coast Gathering pick a new state . ie -: one year in Vic then NSW then Qld can be on the coast or center or close to the SA boarder or NT it is a big beautiful country with lots of new places that others have never seen before..

Oka 045 the WIDE Motorhome 6bt cummins 500 watt solar diesel heating gas cooking up grade LSD front and rear diffs to 4:56 from 4:88 . 320 lt fuel 153 lt fresh water in 3 separate tanks 3 house batteries 1 start battery 176 lt upright fridge/freezer Black dog security
Last Edit: 23 Oct 2017 14:35 by Harry. Reason: Wrong photo
The following user(s) said Thank You: Chris126, 210greg

More
12 Nov 2017 05:32 #49 by Peter Davis
Peter Davis replied the topic: OKA Gathering 2018
Have been in North America for month and a half.
Is Grannys Flat the go for Australia Day Weekend Friday 26/1 -Sunday 28/1?
Then one can apply for annual leave.

More
23 Nov 2017 18:47 #50 by Chris126
Chris126 replied the topic: OKA Gathering 2018
Has a decision been made on the 2018 Eastern gathering? Coffin Bay, Mexican Hat, Googs Lake, Granny's Flat or...................?

More
24 Nov 2017 06:06 #51 by Peter and Sandra OKA 374
Peter and Sandra OKA 374 replied the topic: OKA Gathering 2018
As Harry said it is the East Coast gathering and having it in Victoria is probably a good idea.
Rather than make it just the Jan long weekend how about making it the period from 24th or earlier through until the 30th or so to make it worthwhile for long distance travellers.
Make it Granny's Flat anytime after the 24th for the following week.
Do we also want to make a date later in the year in the cooler "travelling" months for a more central "National" get together in say the Gawler Ranges area? Any SA owners with more knowledge of the area for a site?
Peter

OKA 374 LT Van, converted to camper/motorhome,
400ah Lithiums, 1100w solar, diesel cooking heating and HWS,
Cummins 6BT, Allison 6 speed auto, Nissan transfer.
The following user(s) said Thank You: DarrenWebster303

More
24 Nov 2017 10:40 #52 by Peter_n_Margaret
Peter_n_Margaret replied the topic: OKA Gathering 2018
Actually, Lang started this thread with the following post.........The subject was for a gathering in 2018, not necessarily on the east coast.

Lang wrote: Anybody thought about 2018 gathering?
Trying to plan the first half of the year and, if it fits, an OKA gathering would be on the plan.
What about somewhere like Port Lincoln to give the WA and NT mob a fair chance?
Lincoln National Park has some good camp sites and beaches. Coffin Bay has lots of more remote tracks and plenty of beaches.
Lang

As I said, there is nothing preventing an east coast gathering as well as others elsewhere.
I suggest that it is simply a matter of someone putting their hand up and saying "Be here on this date" and see what happens.

Cheers,
Peter

Cheers, Peter.
OKA196 tinyurl.com/OKA196xtMotorhome
Mob.0428171214

More
24 Nov 2017 10:59 #53 by 210greg
210greg replied the topic: OKA Gathering 2018
Great Idea Pete Granny Flat It is be there or be square
Greg

More
30 Nov 2017 05:40 #54 by fran philipson
fran philipson replied the topic: OKA Gathering 2018
Sounds good to us.
George and Fran plan to be there.

More
01 Dec 2017 16:50 - 01 Dec 2017 16:56 #55 by Dean and Kaye Howells
Dean and Kaye Howells replied the topic: OKA Gathering 2018
Kaye and I took the Oka for a 'test drive' earlier this week and checked out Grannys Flat Reserve. It's about 7.5 km out of Jamieson on the Licola Road. It is easily accessible and is a very pleasant little reserve.

The reserve is on flat ground along side the river and covers approx. 4 - 5 acres at a guess with a number of shady areas and 4WD tracks leading off for the more adventurous. There are a number of fireplaces provided but BYO firewood.

The reserve is well maintained with fairly new and clean toilet facilities (2 blocks of 2)

The river was quite shallow and suitable for small children (and adults) to paddle around in

The only negative I could find is that it is quite a small reserve and very accessible which could lead to overcrowding on a popular holiday weekend, but on the other hand there are a number of very nice alternate campgrounds in the area, particularly along the Jamieson - Woods Point Road which could tend to take the pressure off this one.

Dean & Kaye :)

ps. Telstra mobile service including 3G just in range but no Optus coverage.
Last Edit: 01 Dec 2017 16:56 by Dean and Kaye Howells.

More
01 Dec 2017 17:57 #56 by Dean and Kaye Howells
Dean and Kaye Howells replied the topic: OKA Gathering 2018
Some of the local wild life.

Dean and Kaye
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Chris126, 210greg

More
02 Dec 2017 08:40 #57 by Harry
Harry replied the topic: OKA Gathering 2018
Thank you Dean and Kaye for going out of your way and looking the area for us looks like the go and we will be going there for the gathering thanks again

Oka 045 the WIDE Motorhome 6bt cummins 500 watt solar diesel heating gas cooking up grade LSD front and rear diffs to 4:56 from 4:88 . 320 lt fuel 153 lt fresh water in 3 separate tanks 3 house batteries 1 start battery 176 lt upright fridge/freezer Black dog security

More
05 Dec 2017 14:23 #58 by rasamin
rasamin replied the topic: OKA Gathering 2018
Granny's Flat looks great. We will be there.

Min and Rasa
Oka 74

More
09 Jan 2018 13:29 #59 by fran philipson
fran philipson replied the topic: OKA Gathering 2018
It's been very quite on the gathering front. I hope everyone is polishing up there OKA'S for the gathering. We are aiming to get to Granney's Flat around the 24th. Looking forward to catching up.Hope it's a bit cooler then, it's been very hot at Dubbo.
Cheers
George & Fran
The following user(s) said Thank You: DarrenWebster303

More
22 Jan 2018 16:18 #60 by Paul Scherek
Paul Scherek replied the topic: OKA Gathering 2018
Great, George and Fran, we are on the way, see you on the 24th!
Happy travels, Paul and Michaela