24 Nov 2016 16:19 - 24 Nov 2016 16:58 #301 by Rick Whitworth
Rick Whitworth replied the topic: Turbo upgrade
Episode 4
Other Mods, IP Tune & Final Dynos

File Attachment:

File Name: OKA149Inta...ynos.pdf
File Size:790 KB
Attachments:
Last Edit: 24 Nov 2016 16:58 by Rick Whitworth.
The following user(s) said Thank You: OKAPETE, Peter and Sandra OKA 374, mort, Ewart and Vivian Halford, DarrenWebster303, 210greg, RobS

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
24 Nov 2016 16:36 #302 by Joseph Baz
Joseph Baz replied the topic: Turbo upgrade
Nice neat work Rick,thanks for sharing
Cheers,Joe

More
24 Nov 2016 18:45 #303 by dandjcr
dandjcr replied the topic: Turbo upgrade
Brilliant Rick, you've answered all the questions except one, that I would otherwise have asked you, if I could only get around to it.

The "one" is how did you make the time to do it all?

Regards David

David and Janet Ribbans - Oka 148
Oka148 profile here.
Visit our technical and travel blogs: here.

More
25 Nov 2016 06:07 - 25 Nov 2016 06:30 #304 by Rick Whitworth

dandjcr wrote: how did you make the time to do it all?

The truck was still "on blocks" for the last term hols. First time since we got it on the road three years ago.
They were not happy...

Attachments:
Last Edit: 25 Nov 2016 06:30 by Rick Whitworth.
The following user(s) said Thank You: dandjcr, Dean and Kaye Howells, Joseph Baz

More
25 Nov 2016 07:57 #305 by mort
mort replied the topic: Turbo upgrade
Hi Rick, That is a good job as you indicated it was worth all that effort and your grand kids can now get to the destination faster with a pop that isnt tied from changing gear all the time however the frustration will not lessen just change from being the one holding up every one else to some slow vehicle in front holding up you.
From your dyno graph you have pretty much doubled your H/P and torque. I didnt put up any real figures as I was doing this for myself and a few friends and knowing that not all installations would be the same so it was really a matter of trust me it will make an improvement how much will be up to the individual and the effort put in,in your case you put the effort in and got the result that reflects that.
Martyn "its an OKA thing"
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rick Whitworth, 210greg

More
25 Nov 2016 08:28 #306 by Rick Whitworth
Gday Mort, if you get another run on the turbos please put me down for another XT one

More
25 Nov 2016 10:06 #307 by Dean and Kaye Howells
Dean and Kaye Howells replied the topic: Turbo upgrade
Congratulations Rick, a well thought out and executed upgrade.

You've certainly 'set the bar' for methodology and attention to detail/workmanship not to mention performance improvement with 100% increase in power with just over 100 HP at the rear wheels and a huge 120% increase in torque to 610 ft.lbs. Sounds more meaningful in real (old fashioned) units.

Your little princesses should certainly be appreciative of the continual smile affixed to 'poppys' face.

Deano :)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rick Whitworth, 210greg

More
26 Nov 2016 05:26 - 26 Nov 2016 05:38 #308 by dandjcr

Rick Whitworth wrote: Gday Mort, if you get another run on the turbos please put me down for another XT one

The first ever twin-turbo Oka??

Another project for Mort??

D

Oka148 profile here.
Attachments:
Last Edit: 26 Nov 2016 05:38 by dandjcr.

More
26 Nov 2016 17:06 #309 by mort
mort replied the topic: Turbo upgrade
David one of the guys from the racing team did suggest a twin turbo setup to get what I wanted but I had discounted it but now maybe I should go for the whole engine
PS it wont be going to the dark side.

More
27 Nov 2016 06:43 - 27 Nov 2016 20:28 #310 by Rick Whitworth

dandjcr wrote: The first ever twin-turbo Oka??

he he!
now there's an idea!

No, at the price Mort can deliver figure its worth keeping a spare, even if the new one and the original have interchangeable cartridges, there's something special about the rest of it
Last Edit: 27 Nov 2016 20:28 by Rick Whitworth.

More
27 Nov 2016 07:33 #311 by OKADOC
OKADOC replied the topic: Turbo upgrade
Hey Rick, excellent presentation all round love your work, any figures yet on fuel economy, cheers all Doc and Lyn Davey

More
27 Nov 2016 21:23 #312 by Rick Whitworth
Good question doc. I can't see how such big changes can come for nothing. Has to be heavier on fuel and wear. All part of the reasoning behind OKA's original choice.

Before upgrade we had amazing economy with overall averages of both on and off road of 14l/100km.
Don't expect this to continue
Will keep you posted when I get some figures

More
28 Nov 2016 03:24 #313 by Peter and Sandra OKA 374
Peter and Sandra OKA 374 replied the topic: Turbo upgrade
Rick, like others have said excellent work, you may be surprised with the fuel economy as you are no longer flogging it constantly the engine is actually doing it easier so throttle openings aren't as great and in return less fuel used.
I thought fitting the 6bt would lead to increased fuel economy especially with two extra cylinders but it hasn't changed much at all.

OKA 374 LT Van, converted to camper/motorhome,
400ah Lithiums, 1100w solar, diesel cooking heating and HWS,
Cummins 6BT, Allison 6 speed auto, Nissan transfer.

More
28 Nov 2016 05:20 #314 by dandjcr
This continues to be a very useful topic, so today I've updated my PDF document of the whole thread accordingly.

You can access and/or download it from my Dropbox account using this link .

It's now 7.7MB but includes all the photos. It doesn't include Rick's recent pdf files of his experiences but the links to them (and other embedded pdf files) still work. Also clicking on the photos opens the original larger versions.

If you are thinking of printing it, be aware that's it now War and Peace size with 120 pages.

There is also a text-only version here , (no photos or links). This is only 157KB and a mere 55 pages.

I shall be starting my own upgrade real soon now...

Regards, David

Oka148 profile here.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Ewart and Vivian Halford, 210greg

More
28 Nov 2016 05:32 #315 by Ralley
Ralley replied the topic: Turbo upgrade
I thought the same when fitting the 6bt. My fuel usage stayed the same but I now travel about 10 to 15km/h faster. Going over the range I thought the fuel usage would go through the roof but I think it's better. Maybe it's because I spend much less time with the boot into it. So you may well find a similar thing with the Perky.
You will use more brake pads, maybe valve springs and an exhaust brake is next on the list.
Rob

More
28 Nov 2016 13:12 #316 by dandjcr

mort wrote: David one of the guys from the racing team did suggest a twin turbo setup to get what I wanted but I had discounted it but now maybe I should go for the whole engine

Mort, the photo is a " Perkins 1204E-E44TTA series turbocharged, air-to-air chargecooled unit". It came from an Italian site here .

The relevant Perkins page is here .

David

Oka148 profile here.

More
28 Nov 2016 16:35 - 28 Nov 2016 16:41 #317 by Rick Whitworth
Found some good long hills to test the turbo etc over the weekend.
see pics in separate post

On the highway sitting on 100K, 23500 rpm boost averages 10 varying between 8 and 15 psi with corresponding EGTs averaging around 380 and varying between 350 and 460 degrees depending on terrain.

EGTs rarely went over 500 even on serious hills, only once saw 550.

On the real vertical stuff crawling up in low ratio 4WD she behaved no different to before with no boost and EGTs below 400. Gotta love the OKA!

Update has turned my OKA into a completely different vehicle to drive. It will accelerate away from 1200 rpm in any gear even going uphill where before I had to work to keep the revs between 1500 and 2500. Now able to make much more use of high ratio 2WD on winding dirt mountain roads.

It is much more relaxing, smoother and fun to drive.

I thought I would begin to get used to it by the end of the trip but even as we came up the last hill at home could not cease to marvel at the difference.

Having a whole new affair with the OKA ....better than a ladies new hairdo and change of perfume!

....I'll try to shut up now!
Last Edit: 28 Nov 2016 16:41 by Rick Whitworth.
The following user(s) said Thank You: dandjcr, OKAPETE, 210greg

More
29 Nov 2016 05:51 #318 by dandjcr

Rick Whitworth wrote: ....I'll try to shut up now!

No, don't do that! I and possibly others will continue to benefit from your experience, and bask in your glee.

With my problems now subsiding I'm planning my own big event, starting the new year, only 5 weeks away.

The biggest issue/challenge would seem to be the choice and installation of a new air filter system to feed the turbo. Any turbo, intercooler, exhaust and gear linkage problems seem overcomeable.

More questions no doubt as time progresses.

David

Oka148 profile here.

More
29 Nov 2016 13:24 #319 by dandjcr
Time passes...

Back in 2012, in this thread , one option for an EGT/Boost monitor that Peter and Sandra bought was model SYL-1813 from Auberins .

It still looks good, economic and comprehensive today.

Is this still a good choice or have things moved on at all (eg the dual monitor SYL-2813 )?

David

Oka148 profile here.

More
29 Nov 2016 14:14 - 29 Nov 2016 14:19 #320 by Rick Whitworth

dandjcr wrote: Is this still a good choice

I like to have separate read outs

I got analogue boost gauge here.. VDO 52mm 30 PSI BOOST GAUGE AND 5m LINE KIT AUTOMOTIVE

swapped clock for boost gauge and moved the clock over to the flat panel beside passenger beside other switches, plugs and compressor gauge.

Digital EGT from here.. EGT EXHAUST GAS TEMPERATURE PROBE WITH 12V DIGITAL GAUGE ALUMINUM ENCLOSURE

EGT is supplied with aluminium or black enclosure with a range of choices for the colour of the illuminated display.
I got a black one with white display and mounted it on the steering column as in photo in Episode 3 pdf
Last Edit: 29 Nov 2016 14:19 by Rick Whitworth.
The following user(s) said Thank You: dandjcr