Cable Shifter

More
31 Aug 2016 06:48 #1 by Paul Scherek
Paul Scherek created the topic: Cable Shifter

Frank wrote:
Working on making a cable shifter up at present for #164 as my gearshift rod rubs on the 102-70mm rubber 90 bend .

Anyone else interested in one?

Hi Frank,

I have just made up a cable shift for 059 and I have to say it is a lot of hassle for minimal benefit as I see it. Certainly it is a much 'crisper' shift, and first and reverse are now easy to select. I had fully overhauled my original shift, re-bushed and re-bearinged, and done the two mods that reduce lever travel and it worked fine.
My only reason for going cable shift now is that I want to fit a 6 cylinder Perkins and the front two cylinders clash with the gear change assembly on the XT.

I would though be very interested in comparing notes on how you do yours. Mine at present is pretty rough, with hunks of metal hacked up with the welder and hacksaw, but I have ordered some parts laser-cut which should neaten it up. I can send or post pics when these bits arrive, soon I hope.

Probably this whole gearshift thing should be in a new thread - what do you think?

Cheers,
Paul

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
31 Aug 2016 16:23 - 31 Aug 2016 22:08 #2 by dandjcr
dandjcr replied the topic: Cable Shifter
See also these earlier topics:

transfer-case-cable-shifters
cable-gear-shift
cable-gear-change-adjustment
cable-gear-change

And who could forget Brett's "O What a feeling" post here . (Well I did).

David

David and Janet Ribbans - Oka 148
Oka148 profile here.
Visit our technical and travel blogs: here.
Last Edit: 31 Aug 2016 22:08 by dandjcr.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Paul Scherek

More
31 Aug 2016 20:02 #3 by outyonda
outyonda replied the topic: Cable Shifter
I had a post O what a feeling, gears

A collection of pic,s of the OKA cable change

OKAs 091, 093, 094, 113, 346x6 & 405

More
31 Aug 2016 20:44 #4 by Frank
Frank replied the topic: Cable Shifter
Paul,
What I have done is pulled the cablecraft unit apart (from #135) that replaces the selector mechanism on the top of the spicer gearbox (as well as another similar unit that Joe Baz loaned me, thanks Joe.) and set about recreating it. So what I have made will bolt directly to the top of the gear box.

If I get enough shed time I should be trialing the prototype in two weekends time (assuming the bits I have ordered arrive).

At present I am still trying to source a suitable/similar gear stick to cable shift mechanism at a price I like. I am also planning on making the transfer cable operated, pending suitable lever being found. Once I have sourced these last two components I can draw up an interface plate to mount them using the existing bolts and slots on the console so it should all look standard Oka. Of course an LT will not need the transfer shifter and will no doubt need a different console interface plate.

Frank & Christine Thomas

More
01 Sep 2016 06:37 #5 by Paul Scherek
Paul Scherek replied the topic: Cable Shifter
Hi Frank,

Recreating the cable selector for the gearbox must have been a huge job - I wouldn't know how to start even. Would you need to have a casting made? I replaced the bolts that hold that cover on with long hex bar, tapped at both ends, and put a plate on top of the selector with ball joints and bell-cranks coupling to the existing selector from the cables. All very Heath-Robinson, but it works pretty well. However, I think your system replacing the selector on the gearbox would be much better.

The cabin end is even more Heath-Robinson because with the Perkins 6 there is so little room available the mechanism had to be very small. It only extends 90mm below the deck plate so it is pretty tight.

My laser cut parts arrived yesterday so I can put up some pictures in the next few days, hopefully over the weekend.

Cheers, Paul

More
06 Sep 2016 06:47 #6 by Paul Scherek
My laser cuts parts have finally arrived, so I can make the cable gearchange look a bit tidier.

These parts sit on top of the selector housing, mounted on hex bar spacers to the original four mounting bolts for the selector housing.

The plate mounted on the selector housing mounted on the gearbox. Bell cranks couple the cables to the lever on the selector - one under the plate moves the lever in and out for selection the one on top of the plate moves the lever back and forth to shift the gears.

It is all a bit Heath-Robinson with bearing housings and bell cranks all over the place, but it does work pretty well. If Frank can get the original Oka cable gearchange system re-produced, it would be a much tidier system. The benefit of the way I have done it is simply no tooling charges, all the parts (except for the cables) are basic inexpensive ebay bits.

I hope to tidy up the gear lever end soon and will put up some photos of that.
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: OKAPETE, Joseph Baz, PeteFox, Rick Whitworth, Hedgie

More
06 Sep 2016 07:21 #7 by Outback Jack
Outback Jack replied the topic: Cable Shifter
Looks good.

More
03 Nov 2016 15:50 - 03 Nov 2016 16:09 #8 by Frank
I like Paul's solution - the only minus I can see is dirt and gunk affecting it over time, and its a pig of a place to get to.
But it does avoid the biggest minus of what I am doing, and that is that if anything breaks or comes loose it's going to drop straight down this square hole into the gearbox workings.

Everything on the inside of my box is going to be assembled with locknuts and Loctite.

The parts that make up the cable translation to X-Y are almost all done now.

Just have to make the spigot that goes into the selector, I have some 4140 to make that out of.

Gearstick and cables are a couple of weeks away still, hopefully trialing before end of month.

Frank & Christine Thomas
Attachments:
Last Edit: 03 Nov 2016 16:09 by Frank.

More
03 Nov 2016 16:02 #9 by Joseph Baz
Joseph Baz replied the topic: Cable Shifter
Nice work Frank !
Cheers,Joe

More
03 Nov 2016 16:10 #10 by Paul Scherek
Frank, that is a fabulous piece of work, very impressive. How is the part on the far right made? Did you mill solid steel, or is it a sandwich of laser cut steel parts? It looks almost like a casting, great work.
I will be very interested to see how you handle the gear-stick end. Mine is VERY Heath Robinson.

More
03 Nov 2016 17:42 #11 by mort
mort replied the topic: Cable Shifter
Hi Frank, I wouldnt be too concerned about stuff dropping down to G/Box as it is no different to most other boxes in the same position.
What I am concerned about is how long do I have to wait for a cable shifter upgrade then again it did take me awhile to get the turbo ready.
Martyn "its an OKA thing"

More
03 Nov 2016 18:44 #12 by Frank
Paul,
the original Cablecraft unit was cast, the one I borrowed off Joe Baz was machined, mine is a sandwich of laser cut parts.

Frank & Christine Thomas
The following user(s) said Thank You: Paul Scherek

More
24 Nov 2016 19:06 - 24 Nov 2016 19:08 #13 by Frank
Received the gearshift unit today.

need to make some time now.

Frank & Christine Thomas
Attachments:
Last Edit: 24 Nov 2016 19:08 by Frank.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Joseph Baz, mort, Paul Scherek, Rick Whitworth, Terry Mclaaren, 210greg

More
25 Nov 2016 05:48 #14 by Paul Scherek
Very impressive, Frank, what an excellent solution - so much neater than my Heath Robinson affair. Dare I ask how much it cost?
Cheers Paul

More
25 Nov 2016 07:20 #15 by mort
Hi Frank that looks good but I can see one problem ...that woodgrain knob is going to make my transfer knob look drab so maybe you will need to supply one of each.
Martyn "its an OKA thing"

More
29 Nov 2016 17:23 #16 by Frank
Paul,
I'd rather not mention any costs until I determine if it is useable or not. Hopefully will get some time to play this weekend, didn't happen last weekend.

Frank & Christine Thomas
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rick Whitworth, 210greg

More
30 Nov 2016 04:26 #17 by Paul Scherek
That's fine Frank, I am really more interested to see more pictures of your controller. I particularly would like to see how the left-right motion of the lever is converted to fore and aft movement of the cable. I didn't take photos of my controller before I fitted it - probably just as well, it is pretty daggy, bearings and bell cranks all over the place. Yours looks delightfully simple.
Good luck on the weekend.
Cheers, Paul

More
10 Feb 2017 21:29 - 10 Feb 2017 21:33 #18 by darren lilly
darren lilly replied the topic: Cable Shifter
Hi all does anyone make kit for these cable shifters or know where to source the required parts to do this.Thanks Darren
Last Edit: 10 Feb 2017 21:33 by darren lilly. Reason: left out info

More
18 Feb 2017 08:02 #19 by Frank
Been away so not a lot happening but here's a brief update of where I'm at.

Have modified my translator housing so the cover that goes over the cable to mechanism clears the gearbox casing. This cover stops dirt and gunk getting in and holds the gearbox end of the cables. At the laser cutters again, should have proto#2 together within 2 weeks.

Have committed to a spring supplier here in WA to make the spring that does the centering of the gear lever mechanism to the 2-3 position. I wound the first spring myself, but did manage to radially scratch the spring wire; this creates a stress point and may lead to breakage at this point. Not wanting bits of metal that don't belong in my gearbox I thought I would see what a professional spring maker comes up with. Should have these within 2 weeks too.

While I'm waiting on these, am working on mounting of gearstick control in console. Want to mount two gear stick controls, the other for the transfer box. Should then have a H pattern for the transfer case as well. High- low one direction and 2WD or 4WD other direction.

Frank & Christine Thomas
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dean and Kaye Howells, mort, Rick Whitworth

More
18 Feb 2017 10:25 #20 by mort
Hi Frank
I am not wanting to put any pressure on you but we are waiting I for one want one and if you need I have an LT where you have an XT so if you need to experiment with LT mine is available and as I am rebuilding I have no floor so easy access.
Martyn (its an OKA thing)