Insuring an OKA

More
23 Nov 2020 11:59 #21 by Peter_n_Margaret
Peter_n_Margaret replied the topic: Insuring an OKA
I have just successfully joined the NRMA using a SA address, and registration and subscribed to their Premium Plus roadside assistance (and towing for up to 10T).
Cheers,
Peter

Cheers, Peter.
OKA196 tinyurl.com/OKA196xtMotorhome
Mob.0428171214

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
23 Nov 2020 12:05 #22 by Cuppa
Cuppa replied the topic: Insuring an OKA
Excellent! Was it a straightforward process? It seems bizarre to me that they all have reciprocal recovery arrangements but different vehicle size limits.

More
23 Nov 2020 12:35 #23 by Peter_n_Margaret
Straight forward.
Cheers,
Peter

Cheers, Peter.
Mob.0428171214

More
23 Nov 2020 14:37 #24 by Lang
Lang replied the topic: Insuring an OKA
I had my OKA stop not far from Kempsey. I had an army jeep on a trailer.

I have top of the line RACQ. Rang them and they told me NRMA was the reciprocal provider and just wait and they would contact them. 5 minutes later call from NRMA Super Platinum (or whatever it is called) department.

They were bloody hopeless. OKA too big and needed a semi-trailer recovery truck. Jeep on the trailer had to be off-loaded for two tilt tray carries into town. Accommodation? - not our problem call RACQ to arrange that.

10 minutes later a call from RACQ lady to see how we were getting on. I could hear her eyes rolling when I told the story. Don't worry forget NRMA I will take it from here.

Another 10 minutes to be told she had privately hired a tilt tray (the NRMA approved tow operator!) who duly arrived, loaded the OKA and took us to a lovely camp site on the river right beside the Diesel Mechanic for the morning. This top bloke left us to get set up and went back for the jeep and soon returned with it still on the trailer.

The RACQ girl called yet again to see if all was well and asked if we wanted a motel booked or a rental car (we needed neither)

I have had recourse to RACQ several times with old vehicle breakdowns in NSW. Victoria and Queensland and each time they over rode the local mob to get the desired result. I can not speak too highly of them.

Lang

More
25 Nov 2020 10:59 #25 by Tony Lee
Tony Lee replied the topic: Insuring an OKA
In a state that probably should remain nameless, the staff of the department of transport said that for the proof of identity, my passport and other state licence would do to prove who I was, plus to prove an in-state address, all I would need is a bank statement showing the in-state address. So, got online to the banks website, changed my address to my sisters (but could have been a caravan park) and printed out an interim bank statement.
Had to do similar when I bought a Queensland registered vehicle and wanted to garage it at the sellers address.

OKA is registered at a Kimberly address that I have long forgotten.

Trouble is, grey nomads with no fixed abodes have to tell a few fibs to survive the red tape

Tony

More
25 Nov 2020 12:29 - 25 Nov 2020 12:31 #26 by Peter_n_Margaret
Registration in SA does not need a local residential address, just a "garaging address".
A friend with a NSW license uses our premises as his "garaging" address for SA registration. I simply hand wrote a note approving that this was OK as we stood at the rego counter. No other documentation was required. Can't recall what he used for ID, but it did include his NSW drivers license.
Some of his correspondence goes to his NSW postal address and some comes to our postal address.
No idea what he calls "home". Might be a few fibs there.

Slightly off topic, but for a few years we were listed as "itinerants" on the electoral roll. Meant we could choose to vote or not, as it suited our travel.
Cheers,
Peter

Cheers, Peter.
Mob.0428171214
Last Edit: 25 Nov 2020 12:31 by Peter_n_Margaret.