OKA Forums

More
31 Jan 2021 19:13 #21 by Holmz
Holmz replied the topic: OKA Forums

Outback Jack wrote: Couple things
The difference from this Forum and Facebook is that a corrupt few cannot ban users.

Both formats have administration schemes that allow a select few to kick anyone out that they deem should be for any reasons whatsoever.

Like the advise in the Johnathan Livingston Seagull story... "<just> Let it go" ;) or the Beatles "Let it be", if you like music better than books.

Mate, why even pick at a scab?
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rick Whitworth, 210greg

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
31 Jan 2021 19:36 #22 by Peter_n_Margaret
Peter_n_Margaret replied the topic: OKA Forums
Remember Rowena Wallace? Took over the forum very early.
Still driving mine trucks in the west last I heard. Previous owner of #123.
Cheers,
Peter

Cheers, Peter.
OKA196 tinyurl.com/OKA196xtMotorhome
Mob.0428171214

More
01 Feb 2021 14:08 #23 by Alister McBride
Alister McBride replied the topic: OKA Forums
Peter - I never met her but yes i still have the OKA stubby holders i ordered from her when she was running things. That was roughly when i started. We had to pay a subscription to be a part of the OKA group back then...

More
01 Feb 2021 17:47 #24 by rob and jan
rob and jan replied the topic: OKA Forums
I remember that Alister the sad part is I lost my last Stubby Holder a couple of years ago at some party. And yes I remember paying a small subscription. Like most of you I don't see any point in raising past history on wards and forwards as they say. All in all most of the people on this forum have been helpful. I drop in from time to time and read the latest post I also see some shared stories on Facebook all of this helps us stay in contact. This site has worked for me so thanks to all that put in the hard work.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Alister McBride, OKAPETE, Paul Scherek, Rick Whitworth, Holmz

More
04 Feb 2021 05:27 #25 by nugget
nugget replied the topic: OKA Forums
I suspect all forums go through a rough patch where passions run a bit wild. I have seen it before on other forums and whilst I wasn't around when it happened here, I have certainly heard about but equally happy not to get involved.

As a newbie to OKA's I have found this to be the best place for information by a country mile. I can search for info and there is a mountain of it.

Whilst I post my build on the Facebook pages, I don't expect to get technical help so much there but it does seem to be where the sale of vehicles appear...it is where I came across 050.

I do try to support the local guys as I don't think it is fair to use them as a knowledge source and then use that knowledge to buy from over overseas. They are not infallible and certainly I have paid more than I could have on occasion but when I had a problem and I phoned 1 of them the answer was instantly "it is part number xxxxx, ring ahead to Pt Augusta and they should be able to get it in and have it waiting for you"....and they were right so the few extra $'s I paid was pretty good insurance in my opinion.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Alister McBride, OKAPETE, Dean and Kaye Howells, Paul Scherek, Harry, Rick Whitworth, Chris126, 210greg, Holmz

More
12 Apr 2021 13:23 - 12 Apr 2021 13:25 #26 by Rick Whitworth
Rick Whitworth replied the topic: OKA Forums
The consensus seems to be that although there are preferences ALL are in agreement that diversity is healthy. OBJ sums it up...

Outback Jack wrote: At the end of the day, The more interest, groups etc the better we can have to support OKA, the better. It keeps the value of OKA`s up and the sharing of the knowledge.
Some prefer Faceache, some prefer forums etc etc.
Shouldn't the important thing be that we all have a Passion all things OKA. How we get our information, how we get others interested etc shouldn't really matter to others but yourself

Personally I still feel about FB like I hate having to go to Aldi.
No icing, no signage, rough and ready service, you may not get you want, some of it is crap, but the overall value and benefits are undeniable and once you have been you find the experience quite pleasant.
The popularity of the FB sites speaks for itself, we are lucky to have them.
Whenever there is a question on FB related to a topic I know has been covered here I always try to answer with a link back to this forum.
Last Edit: 12 Apr 2021 13:25 by Rick Whitworth.

More
12 Apr 2021 15:45 #27 by Holmz
Holmz replied the topic: OKA Forums
The popularity is similar to instagram, and other social signalling sites,
Whether it is healthy or not is a different matter.
And there is a data mining, and privacy issues that are somewhat concerning to some.

It is certainly harder to use it for most anything technical, but to show a vehichle and put out the word that a gathering, or cult of OKAs (OKA-ult) is happening, it has value. ;)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rick Whitworth

More
13 Apr 2021 07:49 #28 by Rick Whitworth
Rick Whitworth replied the topic: OKA Forums

Holmz wrote: It is certainly harder to use it for most anything technical

totally agree