Dinghy Rack

More
01 Nov 2012 14:02 #1 by dandjcr
dandjcr created the topic: Dinghy Rack
Forum Home > On the Road > Dinghy Rack

travis
Has anyone ever carried a dinghy on the roof of an oka bus?
And with a pop top with a rack mounted to the gutters?
As i would prefer to not trailer my boat, once my contract finishes in karratha we are heading to NT to do arhnam land across to the cape before moving to darwin.
--
Oka Performance Turbos, Intercoolers and exhaust Upgrades 0421678926

August 31, 2012 at 2:43 PM Flag Quote & Reply

James & Usha (THEByleDuct)
Administrator
Travis - where in Karratha are you? Give me a call on 0409695312.
--
OKA #072

August 31, 2012 at 6:06 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Pete Fox
Travis, this is no dinghy, but it is a 4.5m x 1m wide fishing kayak. the roof racks are mounted to the conventional Oka captive nuts

I have mounted a 4000lb winch to the rack on the rear boxes which is used to haul the kayak up, over the sunvisor.

I have strips of boat trailer skids mounted on the sunvisor and the racks to enable an easy haul-up. Overall height is 3.4m.
I guess you could do the same thing with a dinghy.
--
Peter Fox

OKA 266 Multi-cab.

Photobucket album

August 31, 2012 at 6:29 PM Flag Quote & Reply

travis
Posts: 57 Hey mate I'm in baynton I have seen you Oka not that I'm stalking you or anything
--

August 31, 2012 at 7:42 PM Flag Quote & Reply

James & Usha (THEByleDuct)
Administrator
heh heh - yes we're in Baynton also - so don't be a stranger - drop in and say hi.
--
OKA #072

August 31, 2012 at 7:46 PM Flag Quote & Reply

travis
will do at some stage cheers mate
--

August 31, 2012 at 9:33 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Alister McBride
Mine had a dinghy attachment on the roof rack and the previous owners used it for an alloy dinghy. It had a lever arm, a couple of rollers at the back and a small warn winch at the front. I still have the winch and rollers but the lever arm went with the rack when i swapped the bus body for dual cab. Unfortunately i don't have pics but the lever arm grabbed the front of the boat (which was upside-down leaning against the back of the oka) and helped guide the boat up and over in a straight line while the winch pulled it up. The rollers (normal boat trailer rollers, i still have) were mounted at the rear top edge of the roof rack, the sides of the boat ran along them as it was pulled up. There were pics of the boat on the oka on the old oka website but i fear they're long gone now! Let me know if you need further/more detailed explanation...
Cheers,
Alister
August 31, 2012 at 11:01 PM

David and Janet Ribbans - Oka 148
Oka148 profile here.
Visit our technical and travel blogs: here.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.