GVM Downgrade

More
15 Jun 2017 19:29 #1 by fran philipson
fran philipson created the topic: GVM Downgrade
I am posting this for a long time OKA owner who is having trouble logging on, but can read any replies. He wants to know if there is anyone in NSW who has downgraded an OKA to be able to drive it on a car licence. Is this possible and if so, what is involved and how do you go about it?
George

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 Jun 2017 06:55 #2 by mort
mort replied the topic: GVM Downgrade
Hi George,
NSW I dont know but mine was downgraded in Qld by previous owner he needed a weigh bridge certificate and then inspected for road worthy so it was now rated at 4.45 T however I was suspicious of its weight so I weighed again in WA and it was 4.4 empty so that gave very little capacity for fuel, water, supplies etc and I would be driving an overloaded vehicle.It was easier and safer to upgrade mine and Hilda"s licence to light rigid
Martyn
The following user(s) said Thank You: fran philipson

More
19 Jun 2017 15:00 - 19 Jun 2017 15:01 #3 by Chrisj
Chrisj replied the topic: GVM Downgrade
OKA 166 is registered in Queensland, mine weighed in at 4040 kg on registered weighbridge, It is now registered as a two seater, the 4 rear seat were removed plus the seat belts for those removed seats, two rear leaf springs from each rear spring bundle were also removed.

Oka was inspected prior to downgrade, after the seats, seat belt and the leafs were removed the OKA was presented for re-inspection to motor engineer, paper work completed and blue mod plate fitted than off to Queensland motor registration to submit paper work. Total cost about $ 250.00 plus my labour to remove above items

Oka can now be driven on a car licence. Rego is half the cost, no yearly roadworthy, It a win all round for me but may not be the way to go for most

Chaos, Panic, Disorder - My work is done here.
Last Edit: 19 Jun 2017 15:01 by Chrisj.

More
19 Jun 2017 15:10 - 19 Jun 2017 17:14 #4 by Lang
Lang replied the topic: GVM Downgrade
If the only issue is a licence, anyone over 25 can get a medium rigid licence very easily. You only need a light rigid but they give "experienced" 25 and over car drivers the next one up. If you are only an average driver it can be done in one day with two hour's worth of lessons (practising the test) and a test. School trucks will be synchro, power steering and no more difficult than a car.

Here is the written test with answers for NSW (other states are almost identical) for you to practise. Might not hurt EVERYONE to run through these.
www.rms.nsw.gov.au/documents/roads/licen...ions-heavy-rigid.pdf

If you want to save a lot of money and avoid annual pit inspections, weighbridge checks etc get the weight downgraded.

Lang
Last Edit: 19 Jun 2017 17:14 by Lang.

More
20 Jun 2017 05:55 - 20 Jun 2017 06:02 #5 by dandjcr
dandjcr replied the topic: GVM Downgrade
We could never get our Oka down to 4.5t but if you can, it avoids another problem (in SA, maybe other states).

If you're over 70, the MRD requires you to get a doctor's certification annually that you are still fit to drive (since an MR licence allows driving of busses and similar commercial vehicles). For a car licence it's 75 before annual checks are required.

Not difficult but takes a trip to the doctor plus a fee not covered by Medicare.

On the plus side, in SA, no annual inspections for privately registered vehicles, including 5.5t Okas.

In 2004, when I got my truck licence, the costs for lessons, test and licensing for an LR licence were the same as for an MR, so that's what I got.

David

David and Janet Ribbans - Oka 148
Oka148 profile here.
Visit our technical and travel blogs: here.
Last Edit: 20 Jun 2017 06:02 by dandjcr.