oka 350 spray rig

More
18 Feb 2018 17:32 - 18 Feb 2018 17:57 #1 by Mal
Mal created the topic: oka 350 spray rig
Thought I'd add some feedback to my continuing experiences using an OKA as a spray rig.
We are coming up 18 months/2 years of spraying using the rebirthed OKA350 and our overall impressions are quite positive.
For anyone looking for a sprayer platform that carries more water than a landcruiser, and uses less fuel than a landcruiser, the humble OKA is worth a look. We usually only work in first gear, at about 15-16kph and carry 2200 litres of water and we do that reasonably easily despite some steeper hills. Maybe the thought of spending a whole week in first gear apart from a few paddock commutes is a foreign concept for some, but thus far we have been happy with it. The neighbours even borrowed it and gave it the thumbs up.
Ivé found a few improved photos of the setup if anyone is interested. Our restoration of the vehicle was entirely functional so some things may look a little basic. We may decide to add door linings and decals later if we get extravagant. IMG_0015.JPG[/attachment]
regards Mal
Attachments:
Last Edit: 18 Feb 2018 17:57 by Mal. Reason: duplication of photos

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 Feb 2018 20:31 #2 by Frank
Frank replied the topic: oka 350 spray rig
I like the driver!

Good to see an Oka earning its keep.

Oka 020 at Ravensthorpe which was also run as a spray rig for many years had a special filter (and blower I think) fitted, top rear of the cab (where the bus and dual cab units had the second air conditioner fitted). It pressurised the cabin with filtered air. I assume the aircond was then put on recirc and windows shut whilst spraying. I believe its purpose was to increase the likelihood of longevity of the operator.

Frank & Christine Thomas

More
19 Feb 2018 08:15 #3 by mort
mort replied the topic: oka 350 spray rig
Hi Mal,
How about not advertising to your neighbours the benefits of the OKA, those of us who own one know how good they are but we dont want them being converted to farm work horses and nothing left for recreational use.
On a more serious note I am curious why did you first decide to buy and in your case rebuild 350 and why not like others go for a newer truck.
Did you have previous experience with an OKA.
Martyn

More
28 Feb 2018 10:29 #4 by Mal
Mal replied the topic: oka 350 spray rig
I looked at various Isuzu and canter type platforms, but I was warned off them by my friendly truck wrecker.
Land cruisers and similar struggle with the weight and often break the chassis as did our cruiser. The truck style platform suits our terrain with lots of turning , trees, and smaller blocks. Being able to carry 2200 litres of water easily allows us to apply high water rates when required. When doing up 350 I did weld up a crack in the chassis near the front wheels, it has remained welded since. I did underestimate the amount of work getting 350 going, but that can be true for a lot of projects.
This morning I managed to shear off the main uni coming out of the gearbox, parts are on the way soon, but no more spraying today.