Chassis thickness ??

More
21 Jun 2020 20:29 #1 by Muz1970
Muz1970 created the topic: Chassis thickness ??
Hey Folks, been upgrading my rear springs this weekend in #290 along with my pins, bushes and twin shock mounts.. Accomplished that with no dramas. Cut out previous owners extendable draw bar modifications so I can add rear water tank and put tow bar back to standard. Clamped it in position but it seems my chassis has been shortened. Missing rear mount on chassis also.

So intend on extending it but my question is what thickness is the 125 x 75 RHS?, guessing 5 or 6mm

Cheers Muz
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
22 Jun 2020 08:45 #2 by Holmz
Holmz replied the topic: Chassis thickness ??
Seems more like 3.2 or 4-mm... ( a mag base drill goes through it easily.)

If you use the right size, e.g. something like 0.060 wall 3/4" chromoly tubing can be slid in and left proud 2-mm on each side. Then a tig can whirl around it and it weld it in with a minimal brind to get flush.
(A 7/8 with 1/16" wall is better for a 3/4" bolt.)

Then a 5/8" reamer makes a nice nice hole for a bolt to slide in, and the tubing prevents crushing of the rail... if that is even possible?

More
22 Jun 2020 17:44 #3 by mort
mort replied the topic: Chassis thickness ??
Hi Muz, Mine is 5 mm
Martyn

More
22 Jun 2020 19:53 #4 by OKAPETE
OKAPETE replied the topic: Chassis thickness ??
Looking at your pics Id say that rear x member has been replaced as has the side body mounts. Its # 290 isnt it? It was originally Sahara tours tour bus so coulda had any amount of work done over the years as mine # 383 also had.
Pete.

Chaplain. Won x One Chaplaincy.
AM SAE-A. AAFRB.

Oka 383. In process.... Cummins 6bt. Allison 2500 6spd. LOMAX 3:1 205 T/case. Dana 80 F & R.
Oka 358. Van. Perkins. swift turbo intercooled. NP205 conversion. LSD F&R. Camper conversion in progress.
LIFE.....is keeping OKApied.

More
22 Jun 2020 21:10 #5 by Muz1970
Muz1970 replied the topic: Chassis thickness ??
Thanks for the info people. Picked up new top shock mounts from machine shop today and placed order for 6 chassis slugs at the same time. Picked up some RHS for extension while out and about. Welded in a temporary brace and marked out chassis and removed rear cross member. Wanted to get it all tacked up tonight but only managed a couple of hours in the shed. Mine is also 5mm in thickness.

Yes mine is #290 and has had heaps of mods done to her. Unfortunately they don't all suit my needs.

Cheers
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rick Whitworth

More
23 Jun 2020 10:31 #6 by Peter_n_Margaret
Peter_n_Margaret replied the topic: Chassis thickness ??
From memory, they changed from 5mm to 6mm wall for the NT?
Cheers,
Peter

Cheers, Peter.
OKA196 tinyurl.com/OKA196xtMotorhome
Mob.0428171214