external sunvisor fixings question

More
02 May 2022 16:11 #1 by Dave Blythe
Dave Blythe created the topic: external sunvisor fixings question
Anyone know the thread/size of the 2 setscrews securing the centre part of the external sunvisor to the cab?
My OKA is 300klm away and I'd like to arrive there with the right fixings.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Peter and Sandra OKA 374
  • Away
More
03 May 2022 05:59 #2 by Peter and Sandra OKA 374
Peter and Sandra OKA 374 replied the topic: external sunvisor fixings question
Some were held on with tek screws, some with nutserts, most have been modified at some stage.
I'd suggest going with 6mm nutserts and taking the required drill and tool to insert them along with stainless bolts to suit.
I did that to mine after having it pull up when meeting a truck coming the other way with a strong crosswind.
If it had nutserts from the factory the original nutserts that Oka used were flush fitting ones with virtually no grip on the facing side of the panel and relied on the rear flange doing the gripping and and a small taper on the front.
Roll on 25+ years and a bit of corrosion they will spin when you try to undo them or tighten them. I made a thin steel tapered fork out of 3mm x20 flat bar which I tap in between the thing being held and the surface this often locks the nutsert enough to enable removal so you can replace it which can often be a bugger of a job.

OKA 374 LT Van, converted to camper/motorhome,
400ah Lithiums, 1100w solar, diesel cooking heating and HWS,
Cummins 6BT, Allison 6 speed auto, Nissan transfer.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dave Blythe

More
03 May 2022 07:54 #3 by Dave Blythe
Dave Blythe replied the topic: external sunvisor fixings question
Thanks for the comprehensive reply Peter this is exactly what I needed to arrive prepared.
FYI - I'm dropping Her off to Kelvin Marquand later this month for Her facelift.

More
11 May 2022 16:51 #4 by Dave Blythe
Dave Blythe replied the topic: external sunvisor fixings question
closing off this thread I started.
drilled dia 9mm and installed 2 x 6mm nutserts in the centre run of the sunvisor did it fine. Coupled with a good dob of silicone goop to bed it down.