Name change

More
30 Jan 2014 18:30 #1 by Len208
Len208 created the topic: Name change
Now that Oka mfg is no more,and vehicles are getting old.Would there be value in changing our name from Oka4wd to the Oka4wd Enthusiasts club.We may be able to improve insurance prospects through Shannons or Unique insurance.It may also have an effect on vehicle valuations.Just a thought

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
31 Jan 2014 03:57 - 31 Jan 2014 14:10 #2 by OKABloke
OKABloke replied the topic: Name change
Happy the way it is. Wont make a difference to my insurance.

Do need to look at changing the website to Just " www.oka4wd.com " rather than the piggy back on byles.net

For Sale:
XT and LT Parts and Service Manuals Available on CD or Download. $150.00 Set

OKA 4x4 Facebook Page
www.facebook.com/groups/1597409843913222/

David
Last Edit: 31 Jan 2014 14:10 by OKABloke.

More
31 Jan 2014 06:32 #3 by MichaelLHession
MichaelLHession replied the topic: Name change
For Information.
The original name for the "club" is "The OKA Owners' Group" as formed by Marj and Lloyd Parsons.
Michael Hession

Michael Hession
OKA 160

More
31 Jan 2014 07:00 #4 by Richard and Beverly House
Richard and Beverly House replied the topic: Name change
We already insure the Oka with Shannons as an Oka enthusiast, with a big reduction in premium! The cheapest quote.

Richard and Beverly House Oka 080

More
31 Jan 2014 11:39 #5 by Len208
Len208 replied the topic: Name change
I guess my thinking was now there is a finite number of vehicles, that in time as the only Australian designed and built vehicle it would have collectors value,in which case it could help superannuations for some.

More
04 Feb 2014 05:04 - 04 Feb 2014 05:06 #6 by dandjcr
dandjcr replied the topic: Name change

OKABloke wrote: Do need to look at changing the website to Just " www.oka4wd.com " rather than the piggy back on byles.net

David, we've looked into that a few times but it's quite a big job as almost every reference in the website has the "byles.net" prefix (due to James hosting our website on his server system).

We'd like to do it though and I guess we are waiting for some tools to become available to make the task easier and more predictable. There would also be a cost involved in re-hosting the site.

Regards, David

David and Janet Ribbans - Oka 148
Oka148 profile here.
Visit our technical and travel blogs: here.
Last Edit: 04 Feb 2014 05:06 by dandjcr.

More
04 Feb 2014 16:56 #7 by James and Usha
James and Usha replied the topic: Name change
Just to add on to what David has written, the name change itself is an easy operation and involves simply changing the DNS server settings directing traffic from the www.oka4wd.com current domain name host to the new one. As David said the complication is that the links are absolute not relative. So it will involve scanning each and every thread for links and rewriting them. I'm happy to go ahead with it and start the process as long as everyone understands that for a period of time (as long as it takes us to trawl through the threads) the links in the posts may not work as intended.

More
04 Feb 2014 19:46 #8 by Ewart and Vivian Halford
Ewart and Vivian Halford replied the topic: Name change
Sounds like a lot of time consuming work and like the old saying goes. If it ain't broke don't touch it.

By the way you guys are doing a great job with the site, thank you.

Cheers
Ewart

Ewart oka 365
The following user(s) said Thank You: James and Usha, Chalkie, Stephen Knowles, PeteFox, Paul , DarrenWebster303

More
05 Feb 2014 06:00 - 05 Feb 2014 06:04 #9 by Rick Whitworth
Rick Whitworth replied the topic: Name change

OKABloke wrote: Do need to look at changing the website to Just " www.oka4wd.com " rather than the piggy back on byles.net

Other problem with changing " www.oka4wd.com/ " to " www.oka4wd.com/ " would be what to do with the old site which still can be useful (albeit very rarely).

what may be more relevant is that " www.oka4wd.com/ " should get priority over " www.oka4wd.com/ " for the web crawlers. At the moment it does not.

I'm not web savvy and have no idea how site configuration affects how "the spiders" navigate but is it possible to adjust metatags on both sites so that they go down " www.oka4wd.com/ " and not " www.oka4wd.com/ " esp for searches on
oka
oka4wd
oka 4wd?

Thanks to all admins for a truly great website

Rick
Last Edit: 05 Feb 2014 06:04 by Rick Whitworth.

More
05 Feb 2014 08:09 - 05 Feb 2014 08:12 #10 by PeteFox
PeteFox replied the topic: Name change

Rick Whitworth wrote:
what may be more relevant is that " www.oka4wd.com/ " should get priority over " www.oka4wd.com/ " for the web crawlers. At the moment it does not.

Rick

I own the domain name " oka4wd.com.au " as a parked domain. I only bought it to keep it out of the hands of commercial interests and it only costs me pennies to keep it. It is available totally free to this group if needed/wanted.
It could be configured with a permanent redirect to the byles domain without changing anything, but would be much easier to find.

And if it's not wanted that's OK with me too.

Pete Fox OKA266 MultiCab
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

www.byles.net/www.oka4wd.com/forum/membe...oka-266?limitstart=0
Last Edit: 05 Feb 2014 08:12 by PeteFox.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Hank Onthewater

More
10 Feb 2014 09:47 #11 by Harry
Harry replied the topic: Name change
Thought of a sticker for the oka's red on white
THE OKA MIGHT BE SLOW
BUT THE EARTH IS PATIENT

Oka 045 the WIDE Motorhome 6bt cummins 500 watt solar diesel heating gas cooking up grade LSD front and rear diffs to 4:56 from 4:88 . 320 lt fuel 153 lt fresh water in 3 separate tanks 3 house batteries 1 start battery 176 lt upright fridge/freezer Black dog security