Australia day get together in Vic?

More
28 Jan 2015 16:45 #81 by John and Bronwyn
John and Bronwyn replied the topic: Australia day get together in Vic?
Well, what a great weekend!

It had everything - lovely location, good weather, great company, - Oh, and a few OKAs!
It was good to meet everyone for the first time, swap yarns, pick up ideas.
Thanks to everyone and especially Darren.
We were very pleasantly surprised at Mayford - the last time we were there was literally the day (actually night) the great Alpine fire started way back in 2003, and we knew the fire went through the area a week or so later. So we feared the worst. Somehow Mayford escaped. Even the very old pear tree was still there (a bit up the valley from our camp).
And some bad luck too, to Rasa & Min. Glad you got home OK.

See you all next time!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
28 Jan 2015 18:41 #82 by Peter and Sandra OKA 374
Peter and Sandra OKA 374 replied the topic: Australia day get together in Vic?
I think we should all thank Darren for organising the weekend, was great to catch up with old friends and make some new ones. Everyone had a great time and we might get home in a couple of weeks ;-))), made it just past Lakes Entrance today.
Darren no worries with the pics they went up straight after they were taken, never thought we would have phone reception in the bottom of the valley.

OKA 374 LT Van, converted to camper/motorhome,
400ah Lithiums, 1100w solar, diesel cooking heating and HWS,
Cummins 6BT, Allison 6 speed auto, Nissan transfer.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Joseph Baz, Rick Whitworth, DarrenWebster303

More
29 Jan 2015 04:17 #83 by Greg 210 and Dean 366
Greg 210 and Dean 366 replied the topic: Australia day get together in Vic?
Peter & Sandra Yes great pics Please feel free to call into Moruya if you like all Oka's welcome here.

More
29 Jan 2015 16:42 - 29 Jan 2015 16:48 #84 by DarrenWebster303
DarrenWebster303 replied the topic: Australia day get together in Vic?
Oh Pete..... Don't you guys push too hard, driver fatigue is a factor!

P.S. If it's any help, I'm back at work & you aren't missing a thing on that front. :)

P.P.S. Watch out for Greg's lovely home made sprits... yum Greg.... but I think I lost a couple of Hrs Pete!!
Last Edit: 29 Jan 2015 16:48 by DarrenWebster303. Reason: Add warning.

More
29 Jan 2015 17:10 #85 by Peter and Sandra OKA 374
Peter and Sandra OKA 374 replied the topic: Australia day get together in Vic?
Well we've made it as far as Cann river tonight! ;-))))
Have vague memories of a thing called "work" ;-)))) just do stuff when we want now!

OKA 374 LT Van, converted to camper/motorhome,
400ah Lithiums, 1100w solar, diesel cooking heating and HWS,
Cummins 6BT, Allison 6 speed auto, Nissan transfer.

More
29 Jan 2015 17:12 - 29 Jan 2015 17:37 #86 by Dean and Kaye Howells
Dean and Kaye Howells replied the topic: Australia day get together in Vic?
Well, three months ago Darren (Webster) asked the question re a get together and look at the result. Two dozen 'East Coast' OKA's gathered at 'Mayford's' in the Dargo High Plains in Victoria's Alpine National Park over the Australia Day long weekend. Darren must live a 'purer' life than is generally apparent at first glance as his request for good weather was answered in spades. The weather was perfect for the gathering of 24 OKA's from Qld, NSW and Victoria.

For those not sure of the location here's an idea of where we were.

For us coming from West Gippsland it was a reasonably short run to Dargo of a bit over 200 Km or so. The drive up to the High Plains and the Mayfords turn off was hard work for the old Perkins with a fair bit of 2nd and 3rd gear work. Road was in good nic but a 2 1/2 and 3 1/2 gear would have been pretty handy. Needless to say when we caught up to Paul Nott and Ian and Steve Jones in their Cummins 6BT powered OKA's they had done it a fair bit easier. This begs the question of course................ we did CATCH UP :). Pretty funny really, Paul was kicking up a bit of dust but still saw us in his mirrors and pulled over, we nearly had a Cummins powered OKA for a bonnet ornament. Haha. Not bad considering Paul had already 'bequeathed' his Perkins bonnet emblem to us when he went to the 'dark side' and 6BT Cummins. Actually Steve was driving Ian's old Perkins powered OKA but why let truth get in the way of a good story. :))

Shortly after we turned off the Dargo High Plains Road and onto the King Spur Track at Lankey Plain Hut to take us into Mayfords.

This hut is not visible at the turn off but is only about 200 m down a side track. Kaye has a tendency to 'wander off' with her camera (I've often thought of putting a 'bug' on her camera so I can find her :) )

Half a dozen vehicles in the group including Glen Davies in his new Iveco Daily who led the group in. Another half dozen OKA's arrived in the short time I awaited Kaye's return and followed the first group. A 'Thundering Herd' so to speak. From fairly high up on the 'High Plains' there's a fairly easy drive along the Kings Spur Track before a pretty fair drop into Mayfords which is located near the source of the Dargo River.

All up it's about 12 Km's in but pretty serious downhill in low 1st once you leave the spur including a couple of hairpins.

Once you get to the bottom there's a couple of shallow river crossings, very easy if you remember to engage 4WD, (no names no pack drill).

From here it was an easy run to the head of the valley and the dozen or so OKA's already there.

About 7pm already and with camp setup, a feed and after a long day it was time for bed.

Next day Steve was providing the entertainment with 'drive train 101' regaling the enraptured onlookers with a practical demonstration of not only how to rebuild a rear differential but how much a 35 spline axle can be twisted without breaking. Very informative and of course lots of unsolicited advice. Paul Nott had bought in replacement 'spider gears'.

The ladies of course had more 'sensible' things to do and the kids played in the river.

Sunset wasn't too shabby either.

Australia Day bought good weather and the opportunity for a group photo. I don't know how it was made to happen but with a lot of cajoling from Darren Visser and others ? camps were abandoned and 19 of the 20 (at the time) OKA's available managed to get together for a group photo.

with Ron and Lynne Quigley's grandkids, Luke and Lauren holding the flag proud.

Group and single photo's followed. Here's Paul Nott with his niece Lilly, Russ and Vanessa with their kids on the roof (sorry can't remember names :( )with George and Fran on the right.

Here's Luke and Lauren proudly showing the flag on Grandads (and Grandmas) OKA.

Kaye's putting the billy on with Glenn and his Iveco in the background with Richard, Luke and Ron (bending over) and Ian Jones with welding/cooking glove talking with Lauren and Grandma Lynne.

Looking up the valley from the riverside camp with the Dargo River flowing along side wasn't too bad.

We left the gathering Australia Day afternoon and retraced our route up the steep hill and hairpins very thankful that there had been no rain. This steep clay based track would be 'very interesting' when wet.
Upon reaching the King's Spur the view was magnificent.

With a fairly easy drive back along the ridge to the Dargo Plains Road.

A random wild flower just to show I have a SNAG side. :)

Along here we met up with others who planned to spend the night on the ridge with it's magnificent views but quite chilly.

Sandra is of course the only sensibly dressed person here, Peter is obviously beyond pain, Deano (me) sensibly dressed in warm clothing and about to bail out to the coast (10 degrees warmer) with Ian Jones about to get a coat with son Steve (sunnys on cap) already properly attired as is Bevan (Ian's mate) as is Jenny (Harrys missus).

All photos by Kaye Howells (OKA413), write up and errors by Deano. :)

Deano :)
Last Edit: 29 Jan 2015 17:37 by Dean and Kaye Howells.
The following user(s) said Thank You: OKAPETE, Joseph Baz, Stephen Knowles, Paul , Russ Phelan, Rick Whitworth, OKA 138, Ewart and Vivian Halford, TH

More
30 Jan 2015 06:26 #87 by fran philipson
fran philipson replied the topic: Australia day get together in Vic?
What a wonderful weekend. Great drive into and out of Mayfield. Good company,new freinds,lots of yarns, lots of things to look at. It amazes me to see all the inovations that are on OKA'S. More get up and go seems to be the go. Thanks everyone, and thanks Kaye and Dean for the great photos and text.Glad Min and Rasa got home ok.
Safe OKAering
George and Fran

More
30 Jan 2015 09:28 - 30 Jan 2015 10:25 #88 by Rick Whitworth
Rick Whitworth replied the topic: Australia day get together in Vic?
Great location and company
Never seen so many OKAs in one place, all different, all special, too much variety and ingenuity to describe
Steve Beale’s 300hp OKA has to be worthy of note for ticking all boxes as ultimate go-anywhere rig…
Great fearless couple (but then they are banana benders!) who did all the work themselves, OKA camper plus trailer carrying two dirt bikes

AND……..

A microlight that only needs 40m to take off, 60m to land and can fly up to 8,000ft limit of unrestricted airspace!
They had photos covering wide area around Bright including Hotham and the Dargo valley taken only a few days before from over 6000ft on their flight from Mystic Hill in Bright.
…what a way to see the country

Steve even built his own pneumatic level controlled suspension on the trailer, right down to turning his own axle spindles.
Getting in and out of Mayford’s with hitch and diff issues was undoubted example of their spirit and proof of the rig’s capabilities.
…..Oh to be young and fearless again!

Glen's Iveco was also a notable and very interesting machine (sorry no photo)

Up on top of the ridge I climbed down after Paul over the cliff face to get a picture of this plaque stuck on the granite wall a few meters below the edge.

It has a private, personal, uninterupted 180 degree vista out across the valley toward Hotham but is completely hidden from view to anyone up on the ridge.

No one would find it unless you knew it was there. Story is Norman’s ashes were strewn off the top off the ridge.
Beats paying real estate on a plaque at the crematorium

Thanks to Darren for organising a great weekend and as always the hands on OKA experts who attended and provided their usual support

Rick & (Sue not happy she coud not make it)
Last Edit: 30 Jan 2015 10:25 by Rick Whitworth.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dean and Kaye Howells, Joseph Baz, Russ Phelan, TH, DarrenWebster303

More
02 Feb 2015 13:40 #89 by Noel
Noel replied the topic: Australia day get together in Vic?
What a great get together! Jan and I had a great time, the night we spent on the escarpment was magnificent (and cool). Got home safely last night via the 'Prom' and around the coast stopping at friends and relatives along the way. A special thanks to Darren for coming up with the idea in the first place and everyone who made the effort to get there. Someone mentioned the next get together should be on Fraser Island! sounds good to us, will see you there if and when it comes off
The following user(s) said Thank You: DarrenWebster303

More
03 Feb 2015 14:09 #90 by Harry
Harry replied the topic: Australia day get together in Vic?
Jenny and I are also home now safe and sound a big thank you to you Darren for showing me around and a great time was had by all Fraser Island sounds great for us for . Auatralia day weekend next year or just after the school holiday s also a special thanks to Steve for showing me how to referb the rear diff as it came in handy for me Cheers all and safe Oka ing

Oka 045 the WIDE Motorhome 6bt cummins 500 watt solar diesel heating gas cooking up grade LSD front and rear diffs to 4:56 from 4:88 . 320 lt fuel 153 lt fresh water in 3 separate tanks 3 house batteries 1 start battery 176 lt upright fridge/freezer Black dog security
The following user(s) said Thank You: DarrenWebster303

More
09 Feb 2015 14:33 #91 by rasamin
rasamin replied the topic: Australia day get together in Vic?
It was a really great weekend. Our Oka is not quite back on the road. New diff is in but master cylinder needs replacement as well. We have been having trouble with brakes locking for quite some time. A very big thanks to Paul for bringing the diff and organising the master cylinder. Looking forward to another Oka meet. Fraser Island sound good but is Australia Day weekend the best time to be going there?

Rasa & Min