Forum questions

More
15 Oct 2020 14:21 - 15 Oct 2020 14:23 #1 by Cuppa
Cuppa created the topic: Forum questions
Hi, I have been reading through the forum with great interest, & on several occasions have followed a link in someones post only to get a '404 Not Found' response. It seems that the site has moved at least once, possibly more, & I'm wondering if perhaps there have been
losses of posts/resources along the way, or whether they are still available via a different 'route'?

An example:

and the response to clicking on the links

Also should I expect to receive notification of private messages. I stumbled upon one from a member when I took a peek at 'OLD Messages'. It was a recent message of course (me being a newby) & I have replied to it, but no idea if the member has been notified of this.

Thanks
Cuppa
Attachments:
Last Edit: 15 Oct 2020 14:23 by Cuppa. Reason: corrected attachments

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 Oct 2020 09:52 #2 by Holmz
Holmz replied the topic: Forum questions
Copy.

More
16 Oct 2020 11:17 #3 by Holmz
Holmz replied the topic: Forum questions
Copy.

More
16 Oct 2020 17:56 #4 by Cuppa
Cuppa replied the topic: Forum questions

Holmz wrote: Copy.

????

More
16 Oct 2020 18:11 #5 by Alister McBride
Alister McBride replied the topic: Forum questions
Hi Cuppa, yes the site has moved a couple of times but was usually backed up as far as i knew, i haven't seen any 404's, but then i haven't searched for a while so maybe things have changed... i have noticed weird stuff going on with PM's not going through and/or being lost over the last few months though. Maybe one or more of the moderators may be able to shed some light on possible recent difficulties?? I do appreciate their work, i'm sure it's not easy keeping a site going! ;)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Cuppa

More
17 Oct 2020 08:35 #6 by Rick Whitworth
Rick Whitworth replied the topic: Forum questions
Cuppa
The site is full of invaluable info to OKA owners.
You are right, It is run by volunteer admins and has had at least three major host/admin shifts. The administors do an incredible job and each shift must have been a major exercise including the updating the of the internal host paths in user url links. Not all of them have been picked up but most of the blogs are still there even if under a different path. The site has an excellent search engine which can be used to re find the originals.
Even better, if you can see the intended path in the original broken link it can help guess where it is now.
One change over the years has made things difficult....
On the original website, the owners could always edit their posts at any time into the future.
This meant if links were broken owners could go back and relink them. On one site upgrade we were all asked and encouraged to do so.
Now there is a check out date after which a user can no longer edit his post. Not sure exactly how long but It is only short and can be a real pain.
It would be a great help if this could (simply?) be changed back to what it was so that post owners could edit there own posts at any time into the future.
This would greatly inprove the site by allowing owners to maintain there own intended internal and external links and update images and any other info to be what they want whenever needed.

More
17 Oct 2020 09:48 #7 by Cuppa
Thanks Alister & Rick. I am in no way directing any criticism whatsoever in the direction of the forum's admin/moderators.

Was just seeking assistance to find what I believe to be here somewhere.

I have not found the Search function to be helpful I'm afraid.

An example. I Just searched for xt vs lt using 'all' for results.

& got the result seen at the following url

www.oka4wd.com/forum/search?query=xt%20v...atids=all&start=2240

This 'result' contains all sorts of interesting info, but nothing relating to 'xt vs lt' - which I believe to be the title of a thread.

I'm thinking that those with greater familiarity with the idiosyncrasies of the forum than I probably know how to navigate to what they want - hence my questions.

regards
Cuppa
Attachments:

More
17 Oct 2020 13:08 - 17 Oct 2020 13:17 #8 by Rick Whitworth
Rick Whitworth replied the topic: Forum questions
Cuppa,
try advanced search options
if you enclose your keywords in quotes it will only search the full string and is case sensitive.
otherwise it searches on every word.

also selecting titles only can help

if you don't know the date make sure you have any date selected
Attachments:
Last Edit: 17 Oct 2020 13:17 by Rick Whitworth.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Cuppa

More
17 Oct 2020 13:21 #9 by Cuppa
Excellent! Thanks Rick - worked like a charm. :)