× Welcome to the OKA forum!

Tell us and our members who you are, what you like and why you became a member of this site.
We welcome all new members and hope to see you around a lot!

Greetings and show me your OKA please :)

More
29 Jul 2017 19:57 #1 by PeterR
PeterR created the topic: Greetings and show me your OKA please :)
Greetings everyone, my name is Peter and I am currently investigating options to set myself up with a capable 4wd motorhome to live out of suitable for long term free camping. Thus far I keep coming back to the OKA but am yet to actually see one in person but all my research brings me back to OKA's. My main concern is lack of space or are there OKA's with long wheel bases or at least a longer and higher rear section. I do have a bad back so that would need to be taking into consideration.

Are OKA"s expensive to run and maintain compared to say Coasters, Isuzu's, Hinos or Fuso's? I am on a disability pension so budget will be tight also.

I would love to see everybody's OKA's especially those set up for long term free camping motorhomes so please attach pics here for me to check out your awesome rigs.

Cheers Peter

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
29 Jul 2017 21:04 #2 by Holmz
Holmz replied the topic: Greetings and show me your OKA please :)
What general corner of the land do you rise side in?
Someone has to be close.

And welcome, from the second newest member!
The following user(s) said Thank You: PeterR

More
30 Jul 2017 15:22 #3 by PeteFox
PeteFox replied the topic: Greetings and show me your OKA please :)

PeterR wrote:
I would love to see everybody's OKA's especially those set up for long term free camping motorhomes so please attach pics here for me to check out your awesome rigs.

Cheers Peter

Hi Peter
Link to my thread on the build of 266 into a motorhome. Not the perfect solution, - I would do a lot of things differently now but it would be possible to live in 266 long term.
It is a big thread with a lot of info, enjoy

266 build thread

Pete

Pete Fox OKA266 MultiCab
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

www.byles.net/www.oka4wd.com/forum/membe...oka-266?limitstart=0

More
30 Jul 2017 16:26 - 30 Jul 2017 16:34 #4 by dandjcr
dandjcr replied the topic: Greetings and show me your OKA please :)
Peter, also go to the Forum Index and look in the Members Vehicles categories, there's lots of descriptions and photos there.

For our Oka, click on my blog link below for our "Travels with an Oka" articles.

Re: "Are Oka's expensive to run and maintain", they are not cheap but mostly it becomes a labour of love. And the cost of a caravan and 4Wd combo is a lot higher and not so capable or durable.

David

David and Janet Ribbans - Oka 148
Oka148 profile here.
Visit our technical and travel blogs: here.
Last Edit: 30 Jul 2017 16:34 by dandjcr.

More
31 Jul 2017 09:54 #5 by PeterR
PeterR replied the topic: Greetings and show me your OKA please :)
Thank you.

I am in the northern suburbs of Adelaide.

More
31 Jul 2017 11:05 #6 by Peter_n_Margaret
Peter_n_Margaret replied the topic: Greetings and show me your OKA please :)
We are in Blackwood, if you want to drop by and kick a tyre or 2 you would be welcome.

Cheers,
Peter

Cheers, Peter.
OKA196 tinyurl.com/OKA196xtMotorhome
Mob.0428171214

More
31 Jul 2017 11:49 #7 by dandjcr
Ditto Peter(R), we are in Greenwith (Golden Grove).

David

Oka148 profile here.

More
31 Jul 2017 20:13 #8 by Holmz

PeteFox wrote:

PeterR wrote:
Hi Peter
Link to my thread on the build of 266 into a motorhome. Not the perfect solution, - I would do a lot of things differently now....

Pete

I am all ears... Do you have some tips?

More
01 Aug 2017 13:41 #9 by Peter334
Peter334 replied the topic: Greetings and show me your OKA please :)
Oka 334 is for sale at the moment ,we have lived in it for 10 days with out moving but you do need to hit a caravan park at some stage to have a freshen up for you and the washing ,not sure if there is any photos on this site .

More
01 Aug 2017 15:03 #10 by OKAPETE
OKAPETE replied the topic: Greetings and show me your OKA please :)

Chaplain. Won x One Chaplaincy.
AM SAE-A. AAFRB.

Oka 383. In process.... Cummins 6bt. Allison 2500 6spd. LOMAX 3:1 205 T/case. Dana 80 F & R.
Oka 358. Van. Perkins. swift turbo intercooled. NP205 conversion. LSD F&R. Camper conversion in progress.
LIFE.....is keeping OKApied.
Attachments:

More
10 Aug 2017 10:17 #11 by PeterR
WOW some very generous offers there that I will take up at some stage. Unfortunately I am supporting my lady friend through chemotherapy and cancer atm and even going through some health issues myself so not ready to buy just yet for those offering, look like nice rig you have there though OKAPETE.

I have been sitting back waiting for notifications to come in via my email but that doesn't seem to be happening so I thought I might just come and check myself.

As much as I would love to build my own as I am a fitter by trade, a number of years ago I basically had all the contents of my work shop stolen and having a bad back I cant see any point on restarting so I just have a few very basic tools now and now where to operate from in the current house. My son is a truck mechanic though and also does not have his own work shop but I could just imagine what we could put together if we did.

David is pretty close so I would love to come and have a look at yours when convenient and Peter yes when a time suits I would love to come for a drive up in the hills and have a look at yours too and get some awesome ideas from both of you.

My email is This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Thank you all for the very warm welcome. Also bear with me while I am still learning hot to fly this forum lol

More
10 Aug 2017 14:12 - 10 Aug 2017 14:19 #12 by dandjcr

PeterR wrote: I have been sitting back waiting for notifications to come in via my email but that doesn't seem to be happening so I thought I might just come and check myself.

Peter, I just checked and your email address is the one recorded, so you should receive email notifications when anyone posts a reply to your posts, (check your spam/junk mailboxes). You are also automatically subscribed to other topics when you post a reply, although you can opt out of that by deselecting the check box. If you subscribe to a popular topic you can receive a LOT of emails.

Our Oka is in the shed right now in many pieces as I'm trying to complete my turbo system upgrade. Slow going because I have similar issues to you, but when the weather becomes a bit more clement you are welcome to visit.

Regards, David

Oka148 profile here.
Last Edit: 10 Aug 2017 14:19 by dandjcr.

More
10 Aug 2017 15:42 #13 by Peter_n_Margaret
And you are welcome at or place any time between now and October (when we go bush again :) )

Cheers,
Peter

Cheers, Peter.
Mob.0428171214

More
10 Aug 2017 17:30 #14 by Holmz

OKAPETE wrote:

That is pretty nice looking.
What brand of pop-top is on there?

I keep chin scratching with ideas. I need to factor in the time-factor...
But I always like to have the possibility of plans.

More
09 Oct 2017 15:02 #15 by PeterR
Sorry I have been missing in action, Megan has been in hospital ICU for a while and we nearly lost her. She is doing well ATM and out of hospital.

Peter and Margret have you left for you holidays yet? If so anyone know when they will be back?

Hows yours going David?

Cheers Peter

More
09 Oct 2017 15:28 - 09 Oct 2017 15:30 #16 by Peter_n_Margaret
Sorry to hear about the scare with Megan. Hope it all turns out OK.
We left Sunday morning. Now at Mexican Hat, west of Fowlers Bay. Great spot....Going from here to Ooldea for the 100th anniversary of the joining of the rails on the 17th, back to Mexican hat to catch some fish, up Googs Track then home in about a month +/-.

Cheers,
Peter

Cheers, Peter.
Mob.0428171214
Last Edit: 09 Oct 2017 15:30 by Peter_n_Margaret.

More
09 Oct 2017 17:04 #17 by PeterR
Thank you for your kind words.

I'm also kinda without my car at present as I drowned my Nissan. Ah the adventures of life lol.

Maybe just drop me a line when your back please Peter?

More
10 Oct 2017 07:26 #18 by dandjcr

PeterR wrote: Sorry I have been missing in action, Megan has been in hospital ICU for a while and we nearly lost her. She is doing well ATM and out of hospital.
Hows yours going David?
Cheers Peter

Peter (R), glad to hear Megan is progressing well. Wonderful place, the ICU. Not where you'd want to be but I was very impressed by the standard of care provided.

My progress has been limited over the past 2 years but Janet is now almost back to normal after 3 brain tumour operations last year which set us back quite a bit. Next year we will be back on the road...

However with the warmer weather returning I've got my turbo/air filter upgrade installed and working, except for connecting up the intercooler which is still a work in progress.

While working on the upgrade I had to fix a few other things like a new handbrake cable, a slop-reduction modification to the gear selector lever, replaced the fan blade with one which actually fits and I also took the opportunity to rearrange/improve my switch panel functions to incorporate a Boost/EGT display.

We'll be around for the next few weeks if/when you are able to fit in a visit.

Regards, David and Janet

Oka148 profile here.

More
10 Oct 2017 10:20 #19 by PeterR
Hi David, and thank you for your reply.

I am sorry to hear of your circumstances, they do seem alarmingly similar to mine.

Could you email your phone number to me mate? My email Addy is This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it..

Cheers

More
10 Oct 2017 10:26 - 10 Oct 2017 10:31 #20 by PeterR
Sounds like the place to me, enjoy your holidays and stay safe guys :)

As far the Megan goes its a bit of a waiting game, as the Dr said, "We got rid of the elephant but the tail is still there".

Cheers Peter
Last Edit: 10 Oct 2017 10:31 by PeterR.