× Welcome to the OKA forum!

Tell us and our members who you are, what you like and why you became a member of this site.
We welcome all new members and hope to see you around a lot!

Hello

More
02 Oct 2018 16:07 #1 by Tins
Tins created the topic: Hello
Ok, I'm new here. My name is John. I have joined this forum to learn about OKAs. I don't own one, and have never been in one. However, I see them as possibly the ultimate expedition vehicle for this country.

I am 65, recently widowed, and I want to get away for a while. I want comfort and a vehicle I can live in, without the need for a trailer ( I drove B-Doubles for years and I am now allergic to trailers ) , but need to be able to do things like Canning Stock Route. I don't need extreme 4WD capabilities ( I have Land Rovers for that ), but I want something that can take me most places where the tracks aren't too tight.

I would be looking to find an OKA next year, if I can find someone willing to sell!

Is there any truth in those ads that say OKAs can now be ordered new?

Thanks for having me on this forum. I spend quite a bit of time on the AULRO forum, and know there are a few members there who have OKAs.

OKA #74

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
02 Oct 2018 17:21 #2 by Alister McBride
Alister McBride replied the topic: Hello
Hi Tins, yep, you came to the right place and sounds like you're looking for the right vehicle for what you want. And to be honest the oka will probably surprise you in how capable it is while carrying your house on its back! ;) Ask any questions you want, we're usually a pretty helpful lot... Also, there's a 'for sale' link here on the forum which could be helpful for finding the right one.

Welcome, and enjoy!

Cheers, alister
The following user(s) said Thank You: Tins

More
02 Oct 2018 17:37 #3 by Tins
Tins replied the topic: Hello
Thanks, Alister. Yes, while I'm a newbie here I've been looking at the OKA for about a year. I particularly like the long leaf springs. There's a company near me that has engineered a six cylinder Perkins to fit. Is it worth it, or would an intercooler and wastegate be enough to get the power up a little? I'm not looking for a tyre burner.

OKA #74

More
02 Oct 2018 18:43 #4 by Holmz
Holmz replied the topic: Hello

Tins wrote: Thanks, Alister. Yes, while I'm a newbie here I've been looking at the OKA for about a year. I particularly like the long leaf springs. There's a company near me that has engineered a six cylinder Perkins to fit. Is it worth it, or would an intercooler and wastegate be enough to get the power up a little? I'm not looking for a tyre burner.

Where are you?

David Ribbins (god rest his soul)... well his son is selling David's OKA out of Adelaide.
See somewhere here in the classifieds.
I have not seen it, but I cannot imagine it is would not be worth a look.

...I got mine about a year ago.

More
02 Oct 2018 19:06 #5 by Tins
I'm in Melbourne, in the Dandenongs. I have a number of family in Adelaide, and am going there later this month. Sadly, I cannot contemplate the purchase of an OKA until there is a grant of Probate on my wife's will and I can sell my house. But I'd love to see that OKA. There is also one in a yard on the North Road, but I didn't really like that one when I looked 6 months ago. I'll look again, as it is still there, but ideally I'd like a bus.

OKA #74

More
03 Oct 2018 03:43 #6 by Holmz
I think Ribbans one is a bus.
And it is usually free to have a look at them.

You may be able to get a new one as there were two rolling chassis in the HQ at Bibra Lakes.

More
03 Oct 2018 06:20 #7 by Alister McBride
That's all up to opinion Tins. Ask every different oka owner and you'll get a different answer. Although most would agree the original 4cyl Perkins although reliable was probably too small for the oka. Some are happy to plod along with it and do the extra gear changes to accommodate it, upgrade options are intercooler and wg turbo, isuzu engines, 6cyl perkins, 4bt and 6bt cummins (both 5.9L and 6.7L), duramax v8 diesels... that's what i can think of at the moment with all kinds of trans behind them. My advice would be to have a drive of one and see what you think. The positive (and negative sometimes!) of an OKA is that because of their construction just about anything is possible! ;)

You're talking about Darren Visser who does the perkins 6 cyl upgrades. I am personally doing a Cummins 6bt upgrade which is the most common and there are people around who do those conversions too including Paul Knott from East Coast OKA spares (i mention him as he's in melbourne). Knowing both these guys i'm sure they would both do a quality conversion. As far as i know they're the only ones over the east side of aus who do them.

There are people who would swear one engine or another but really between the 6cyl perkins and 6bt (the two most common) there's not much in it to drive them apparently. The 6bt is a more modern engine and i find spare parts easier and cheaper to get. Also, the 6bt i think may get slightly better fuel economy. Another benefit to the 6bt is the range of transmissions you can bolt behind it easily with off-the-shelf gear available from the states to do so. But the 6cyl perkins is a slightly cheaper and simpler upgrade. There's quite a bit of info on the forum detailing peoples trials and tribulations doing these conversions... have a look around.

One thing i would mention, with either engine the gearing on the oka isn't really ideal for highway cruising. It keeps the little 4cyl perky up in the rev range which helps ring what it can out of that engine but when you upgrade to something bigger it's probably revving a bit high at around 2200-2300 rpm (depending on tyre size) instead of 1800ish. It does help with gearing for 4wding though. A lot of people don't care, i do, so i'm changing trans too.

Anyway, that's enough technical oka engine garb for now! have a look around and ask as many questions as you can! :)

Cheers, alister

More
03 Oct 2018 06:53 #8 by Paul Scherek
Paul Scherek replied the topic: Hello
Tins, after Land Rovers the only way to upgrade is an Oka. Lots of Oka owners started off with Land Rovers - both are basically big meccano sets.
I had my 6 cylinder Perkins fitted in Melbourne by a Land Rover mechanic who also owns an Oka - I think he works in with Darren Visser. Whatever, he did an excellent job. PM me if you would like his contact details.
But....I was quite happy with the four cylinder engine. However, mine had done huge kilometres and was using quite a bit of oil. I chanced upon a brand new 6 cylinder Perkins in a crate so the decision was obvious. The only time we felt the 4 cylinder Perky was under-powered was when we were on bitumen, causing road rage at every hill. On the dirt where we mostly drive, it was other vehicles holding us up as they pussy-footed their way over wash-aways and other obstacles that the Oka doesn't notice.
Good luck in your hunt, I don't think you will be disappointed if you buy an Oka.

More
03 Oct 2018 09:00 #9 by Tins
The guy I mention is Tony from Uptech in Monbulk. he has an OKA of his own which he converted. I'm going to see if he'll let me drive it. And yeah, as it's really a truck conversions should be fairly easy. Hmm, I wonder if a Scania V8 would fit....:whistle: :) :)

As for road rage, I don't care what the bloke in his car in a big hurry thinks, but I would definitely get on the CB to talk the trucks around me. But, as you say, I won't be spending too much time on roads like the Newell. Been thee, done that.

I have to say, you're a friendly lot here.

OKA #74

More
03 Oct 2018 09:03 #10 by Paul Scherek
Yes, Tony did mine, a great job, neat and bug-free.

More
03 Oct 2018 09:05 #11 by Tins
Paul, is yours the one I saw there about 6 or so weeks ago getting prepped for a trip?

OKA #74

More
03 Oct 2018 09:09 #12 by Paul Scherek
Not mine Tins, mine left there early last year. There is just a chance we will be in Melbourne early next month - welcome to check out our Oka if it suits.

More
03 Oct 2018 09:25 #13 by Tins
OK. The one I saw was up on the hoist every time I went past so I couldn't get a look. It was white, and that's about all I could see. You know how crowded his shop can be.

I'd love to see yours. Will you be in the eastern suburbs? Not that it matters.

OKA #74

More
03 Oct 2018 09:34 #14 by Paul Scherek
Not sure yet - we have English friends staying in Carlton during October. We might just drive to the outskirts and take a train in - parking an Oka with motorhome in Carlton is not so easy. Will keep you posted.

More
03 Oct 2018 09:37 #15 by Tins
OK, I'll PM you my phone numbers.

OKA #74

More
03 Oct 2018 09:54 #16 by Alister McBride
Mine still has the perky 4 in it and i go through the dandenongs every now and then, will let you know if i'm heading that way. Slight chance early next week but not sure yet... Mine is pretty trashed interior wise but you can get a feel of how the perky 4 goes before you think of upgrading.

More
03 Oct 2018 10:27 #17 by Tins
Thanks. I don't worry too much about aesthetics, so your interior will be fine, i'm sure. I'll PM you my contact details.

OKA #74

More
04 Oct 2018 04:52 #18 by 210greg
210greg replied the topic: Hello
You might want to touch base with Oka Pete in Melb he will know whats for sale and where

More
24 Jul 2021 11:49 #19 by Tins
I'm now much closer to being able to purchase. I've missed out on a few god OKAs, but I hope the right one is out there..

OKA #74

More
24 Jul 2021 15:12 #20 by Holmz

Tins wrote: I'm now much closer to being able to purchase. I've missed out on a few god OKAs, but I hope the right one is out there..

A few devils too… ;)