Wheels

More
13 Dec 2020 09:58 - 13 Dec 2020 14:02 #1 by Holmz
Holmz created the topic: Wheels
Does anyone (or more than one contributor) have width and offset or backspace numbers for both 16 and 17" rims? ...and maybe 19.5?

I found a place that does forged wheel barrels, and it looks like it is probably the only way to get a alloy rim which has the strength and fatigue properties to acheive a load rating that would survive an OKA.

Testing and legality issues are probably also an eventual concern, but I am not confident in cast rims. And there is hardly anything in 16" and 17" that looks strong enough.
Last Edit: 13 Dec 2020 14:02 by Holmz.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 Dec 2020 14:10 #2 by Aussie Iron
Aussie Iron replied the topic: Wheels
My 16" alloy Canter rims are spun or turned if you like from billet alloy by AlexRims in Taiwan.
I believe they may do small runs if you can supply all the info they need. Mine are rated at 1800Kg.

Dan.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Holmz

More
13 Dec 2020 15:55 #3 by Paul
Paul replied the topic: Wheels
Y what's wrong with the stinking hot , heavy 16 split and that dust U can't wash off U grind off Cheese Cutters Rock

98OK
A0

More
14 Dec 2020 16:14 #4 by Holmz
Holmz replied the topic: Wheels

Paul wrote: Y what's wrong with the stinking hot , heavy 16 split and that dust U can't wash off U grind off Cheese Cutters Rock

Ok i am placing an order for cans of spinach.

More
16 Dec 2020 10:27 #5 by Peter_n_Margaret
Peter_n_Margaret replied the topic: Wheels
I reckon my 8 1/4" "X 19.5" rims are zero offset.
Cheers,
Peter

Cheers, Peter.
OKA196 tinyurl.com/OKA196xtMotorhome
Mob.0428171214
The following user(s) said Thank You: ABE, Holmz

More
19 Dec 2020 14:14 - 19 Dec 2020 14:18 #6 by Dean and Kaye Howells
Dean and Kaye Howells replied the topic: Wheels
I reckon we've run just about every tyre/rim combo possible on #413. All have had their good and bad points. The original 8.25X16's were upgraded to 900X16's and then 255/100R16's, all on split rims. For most purposes these tyre/rim combos are now superseded/obsolete though 8.25R16's on split rims could be a good choice for cheap, low speed rough terrain use such as a prospecting vehicle.
Spit rim tubed tyres may not be optimal for avoiding and repairing punctures but you CAN change a tyre easily in the bush. Try breaking the bead and removing a 19.5" tyre in the bush with a soft and sandy base to work on, it's bloody nearly impossible.

Standard Oka 19.5" rims and tyres are a rock solid combo with the exception of the horrible skinny 265/70R19.5's which are probably the worst tyres I have ever driven on and IMO to be avoided like the plague. To describe them as merely 'execrable' is to over rate them. Not even suitable for a childs swing IMO :( The 285/70R19.5 (35") is a better tyre but not as common now as it was. The more common 305/70R19.5 (37") is the pick of the crop here and is available in both block tread (drive) and highway pattern (steer) and IMO is probably the best combo touring and serious off road tyre rim combo we've had on the Oka. The trade off though is they're around 82 Kg each so are difficult to handle and also account for 1/2 tonne of your GVM.. A heavily laden/under powered/tired Oka may have difficulty holding 5th gear whilst cruising with this rim/tyre combo. When we changed to 315/75R16 (35") Hankook Dynapros on 16X8 Eagle alloy rims the improvement in handling/power/ride was amazing and was the 'lay down misere' best combo tyre/rim we had on the Perkins powered Oka. Also half the weight of the 305/70R19.5's on steel rims so for 6 wheels 1/4 tonne lighter.

For a standard unmodified Oka (if such a beast exists :) ) with 16" X 8" rims -6 is the optimal offset though in some cases 0 offset rims may fit but it's a tight squeeze so best to stick with -6. If rim width is increased to 9", ie 17" X 9" then -12 is necessary to give satisfactory clearance.
Steel mine spec rims (1600/1800 Kg) are available in 16" from Ian Jones. When coupled with 325/85R16 (38") Michelin XML's, also from Ian Jones, these make a very formidable and serious off road combination. Without doubt the best off road tyre/rim combo we've had on the Oka. Dynamic Wheels here in Vic have 17"X9", -12 offset, 1600 Kg rated mine spec steel rims but I've not used/seen these so can't vouch for them one way or another.

Finding load rated 16" alloy rims and tyres is a bit of a challenge these days but not so for 17" . Probably the most commonly available rated alloy rim would be the American Racing Baja AR172, available in black or polished finish they are rated at 1650 Kg and will set you back around $300AUD each including wheel nuts. As these are ex US supply/delivery is a bit 'unpredictable' at the moment.

There's an ever increasing range of 37X12.5R17's available though many are unsuitable for the Oka because of low load ratings. To be legal (from memory) a minimum 124 rating is required for a non bus LT Oka (GVM 5500 Kg) and 125 load rating for a LT Oka bus (GVM 6000 Kg).
Unfortunately most 37X12.5R17's are MT's or mud terrain tyres which while desirable for 'Muzza' and his LS1 powered Nissan Patrol to trash the bush with are hardly the best choice for a touring tyre. Fortunately there are some less aggressive alternatives out there. I've gone for Nankang (Taiwanese) Conqueror AT's which have a load rating of 129 (10 ply) which I consider to be the minimum I'm happy with. Several 10 ply tyres including Hankook Dynapro's are advertised by truckupersingles.com.au but I don't know about current cost and availability.

Deano :)
Last Edit: 19 Dec 2020 14:18 by Dean and Kaye Howells.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Paul , Holmz

More
19 Dec 2020 16:11 #7 by Peter_n_Margaret
Thanks Dean, good info.
I have it on good authority that Maxxis will be releasing a 37X12.5R17 in AT configuration 124 ratting in the near future, so that will be another option, but the Nanking at 129 is attractive.
Cheers,
Peter

Cheers, Peter.
Mob.0428171214
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dean and Kaye Howells

More
20 Dec 2020 09:19 #8 by Carl B
Carl B replied the topic: Wheels
I came across these a while back 17" NVHD method race wheels when i was considering options. I went with 305/70 19.5 in the end but interested in 17 potentially in the future. My OKA is 6500kg GVM so these load rated at 2041kg per wheel were looking like a good option. Not sure about the 0 offset, maybe someone here can verify these will fit with 37/12.5 r 17 tyres. Link to wheels is: www.thewheeldeal.com.au/wheels/method/me...-hd-matte-black.html

Anyone used these?

More
20 Dec 2020 12:40 #9 by Peter_n_Margaret
Highest load rating I have seen.
Cheers,
Peter

Cheers, Peter.
Mob.0428171214

More
21 Dec 2020 08:29 #10 by Peter_n_Margaret

Steel mine spec rims (1600/1800 Kg) are available in 16" from Ian Jones. When coupled with 325/85R16 (38") Michelin XML's, also from Ian Jones, these make a very formidable and serious off road combination. Without doubt the best off road tyre/rim combo we've had on the Oka.

I have 6 of these (with tyres) that are available for sale soon (I need light weight for the new project). I reckon the rims are rated to 2000kg.
I measured the offset yesterday at zero, and the clearance is fine, so I reckon zero offset with 17"alloys and 12.5 x 37s will be fine. May loose a bit of steering lock.
Cheers,
Peter

Cheers, Peter.
Mob.0428171214

More
18 Jan 2021 11:20 #11 by Holmz
Ok brains trust...
On a lighty loaded OKA with Michelin XZL are 16x8" rims too wide?

Michelin says 6 or 6.5" wide is what they rated the tyres at, but as there are few options in rims that width, the question seems pertinent.

More
18 Jan 2021 14:39 #12 by Peter_n_Margaret
I would not stray too far from Michelin's rim width suggestions.
You also need to get the offset pretty close.
Cheers,
Peter

Cheers, Peter.
Mob.0428171214

More
18 Jan 2021 16:39 #13 by Holmz

Peter_n_Margaret wrote: I would not stray too far from Michelin's rim width suggestions.
You also need to get the offset pretty close.
Cheers,
Peter

I found offset=0-mm
And load rating of 3640 (1655 kg)
But only in alloy at 16x8" and a 2.4-mm lip.

There are no options for forged alloy that I have seen...
So it is slim Pickens,

More
18 Jan 2021 18:15 #14 by Dean and Kaye Howells
If you're determined to stick with the 255/100R16's it might be worth looking around the old F truck sites as '90's and earlier F trucks (and GMC's, Chev etc) used the 8 on 6 1/2" stud pattern and had skinny gutted tyres. In particular Alcoa made some really good forged alloys in this size to suit but I don't know what the load rating was.

More
18 Jan 2021 18:26 - 18 Jan 2021 18:36 #15 by Peter_n_Margaret
Good idea Deano.
I have 4 x steelies ex an F250 that I use on a trailer with identical studs to the OKA. Only use them around town cos the tyres are about 20 years old and I have an extra 2 spares for the OKA that I use for trips.
You could have them if you were driving past :)

I had an F350 that had nice forged American Racing alloys on it. I sold some of them separately from the vehicle and got the steelies as a part payment for the trailer.
I badly bent one when I rolled the trailer on th GRR and it was successfully rerolled.
I reckon they were 8" though, so too wide for you.

Cheers,
Peter

Cheers, Peter.
Mob.0428171214
Attachments:
Last Edit: 18 Jan 2021 18:36 by Peter_n_Margaret.

More
20 Jan 2021 10:25 #16 by Paul Scherek
Paul Scherek replied the topic: Wheels
G'day Peter, off topic, but I am wondering how the Oka compares to your F350? An F250/350 would be a lot easier to keep below the magic 4495 kilos.
Cheers,
Paul

More
20 Jan 2021 11:46 #17 by Peter_n_Margaret
Once you have had an OKA, nothing compares, :), but you knew that :)
The chassis cracked and was welded 6 times on the one we had for 12 years and 150,000km.
The big downside is the lack of forward control, so the living area shrinks and can not be joined to the cab.
The weight is a big challenge for the OKA, but everything else has challenges too.
An Iveco would be a logical choice too, but fly-by-wire and lots of $$$$$.
Or a Mercedes G Waggon Professional has a GVM of 4495kg in a Toyota size vehicle. Similar problems.
Cheers,
Peter

Cheers, Peter.
Mob.0428171214
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rick Whitworth

More
21 Jan 2021 07:10 #18 by Paul Scherek
Paul Scherek replied the topic: Wheels
Thanks Peter, I would like to continue this discussion without hijacking the thread. I will try to PM you. Cheers, Paul

More
21 Jan 2021 12:51 #19 by Holmz
I am giving up on the flash looking low quality alloys, and sticking with the splits for now.

More
21 Jan 2021 18:33 #20 by Dean and Kaye Howells

Holmz wrote: I am giving up on the flash looking low quality alloys, and sticking with the splits for now.

Then why not get some functional quality alloys, or do you prefer the 'sub optimal' option of driving on poor quality split rims with thin tubes in a ribbed tyre case ? Very failure prone but does have the benefit of easy tube/tyre repair :)

As always optimal tyre/rim choice is dependent on what you want to do with it. For someone based in the Alice looking at touring and sand/dirt travel with a likelihood of staking tyre sidewalls I'd suggest 305/70R19.5's (35"s), pretty much the same rolling diameter as your Michelin 255/100R16's but a good 2" wider with immensely strong sidewalls to resist staking. Can be let down to sub 20 psi for sand work so as good or better 'floatation' as your Michelins, and they're tubeless so very easy to repair the odd puncture should get one. A good strong value for money option with serious off road capability :)

On the other hand there's nothing wrong with the American Racing AR 172's in 17" alloy. Will cost around AUD $4K or so for a set of six depending on tyre choice and half the weight of the 19.5's but not as tough as the 19.5's on steel rims.

There's a lot of crap out there about forged vs. cast vs. 'hybrid' alloys. IMO you'll be fine as long as you have a rated tyre/rim combo and aren't into off road racing (with a Perkins ha, ha .......) In a lifetime of off road travel in Australia I've come across a lot of vehicles that have "failed to proceed" but I've NEVER come across one with alloy rims failed due to road/track damage.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Paul Scherek